The primary responsibilities of this role, Vice President Venture Investments, are to:
- Identify, develop, drive and manage the portfolio of biotech ventures through to proof of concept (POC) including defining and shaping the setup of the ventures (scientifically and from a deal design perspective), developing the rationale and business case for investing in the selected technologies and eventually handing off the ventures to relevant Bayer business/divisions;
- Develop network and follow scientific developments in selected areas (e.g. regenerative medicine, immune oncology, etc.);
- Execute venture deals and conduct due diligence;
- Drive and oversee the start-up of ventures and monitors/reports progress of ventures;
- Prepare and facilitate venture milestones;
- Review and make recommendations on go/no-go decision points;
- Set up the new organization once the venture is approved and support the venture in daily operations where applicable;
- Ensure the delivery of key Bayer contributions to the venture development as applicable (e.g., chemistry expertise, disease area knowledge).
Who You Are
Your success will be driven by your demonstration of our LIFE values. More specifically related to this position, Bayer seeks an incumbent who possesses the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in life science covering relevant topics for Venture-specific technology (e.g. regenerative medicine, immune oncology, etc.);
- Profound knowledge and experience within Venture Capital, investment banking or top tier management consulting with at least eight years of experience;
- Track record of successfully leading long term projects;
- Experience in valuation of early technologies;
- Proven track record of working across multiple functions and integrating objectives with business needs;
- Solid business understanding on a global scale, ability to deal with global differences in customers, KOLs and other interaction partners;
- Good leadership and relationship building skills, relates well to a wide spectrum of people, get things done across varied and different international conditions;
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills;
- Skilled in cross-cultural sensitivity, understands and can empathize with differences in people and cultures, knows how to work in the local culture;
- Sound understanding of science;
- Strong leadership skills, entrepreneurship and ambition;
- Ability to interface startup-like realities of the Ventures to the realities of big pharma (reports, deadlines, etc.);
- Excellent problem-solving ability;
- Proven ability to lead and thrive in complex often ambiguous situations.
Bayer offers a wide variety of competitive compensation and benefits programs. If you meet the requirements of this unique opportunity, and you have the “Passion to Innovate” and the “Power to Change”, we encourage you to apply now. To all recruitment agencies: Bayer does not accept unsolicited third party resumes.
Bayer is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans
Bayer is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodations in its application process for individuals with disabilities and encourages applicants with disabilities to request any needed accommodation(s) using the contact information below.
If interested, please apply here.