The Massachusetts Clean Energy Center (“MassCEC”) seeks a proactive, self-starter to join the venture investments team. The Investment Principal (the “Principal”) will work with the Investments team to accelerate the advancement of technology and economic development in the Massachusetts clean energy industry, and help to meet the Commonwealth’s climate goals. The Principal will report to the Managing Director of Investments (the “MD”) and will work alongside the Investments team to source, evaluate, and manage equity and venture debt investments in the most promising clean energy companies in Massachusetts, and to assist with other related programs. This is an opportunity for a hardworking and motivated candidate to take ownership of significant responsibilities and build on a venture capital skillset while developing deep relationships across the Massachusetts clean energy sector.
Investments Portfolio Management and Support: Work closely with all members of the Investments team as we engage with and provide support to companies that we’ve already invested in.
- Work with the MD to assist with advising, and managing investments in, portfolio companies
- Represent MassCEC and attend board meetings, as a board director or observer
- Respond to and process requests for support from portfolio companies.
New Investments and Transaction Execution: Help our team identify promising clean energy companies and execute new investments to grow our portfolio.
- Identify, track, analyze, and evaluate new clean energy investment opportunities
- Conduct investment due diligence, including business plan evaluation and general, financial, and technical due diligence
- Prepare and participate in the delivery and presentation of investment recommendation presentations for senior management and the MassCEC Investments Committee and Board
- Prepare and negotiate term sheets and investment documents, and manage closing investments, in consultation with the MD and legal counsel
External Engagement: Build a strong network across the clean energy space through proactive engagement with ecosystem partners and other stakeholders.
- Represent MassCEC at meetings, conferences and working sessions, including speaking engagements
- Manage, coordinate, and conduct regular engagement with co-investors and other key ecosystem partners
- Attend events in order to identify new investment opportunities and potential investment partners
- Stay up to date on clean energy industry trends to ensure MassCEC industry support programs are relevant and resources focused on the best opportunities
- Research and review investment programs in the public and private sectors and assist in the development of new investment-related initiatives, partnerships, and programs to support the growth of a competitive, sustainable clean energy industry, ecosystem, and impact in Massachusetts
Investments Team Process Management: Take a lead role in making our team operate efficiently and coordinating our work with others at MassCEC.
- Manage meetings, internal processes, and management reporting
- Respond to data and information requests from within the organization
- Operate and maintain the award management system
- Assist with other tasks as directed by the MD
Team Management: Manage and mentor junior Investments staff.
- Minimum undergraduate university degree, with top academic standing
- MBA and/or other relevant graduate degree, preferred
- Background in business, engineering, science, and/or environmental studies, preferred
- 5 + years total relevant work experience, including working with technology startup companies
- At least 2 – 3 years relevant post-graduate school work experience, preferred
- Venture capital investment, investment banking, strategy consulting and/or corporate positions, with exposure to energy, power, or clean energy industry, preferred
- Prior experience as an investment associate, or equivalent, preferred
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Proactive self-starter
- Proof of experience drafting investment memoranda and presentation materials
- Strong qualitative and quantitative analytical skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to obtain and review complex information and clearly articulate conclusions and associated recommendations
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities effectively
- Interest in clean energy technology and a demonstrated aptitude to understand complex and new products, systems, innovations, and business concepts as well as market opportunities and challenges
- Strong command of Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
The Massachusetts Clean Energy Center (MassCEC), as a quasi-public entity, pursues a mission to grow the state’s clean energy economy while helping to meet the Commonwealth’s clean energy, climate, and economic development goals. MassCEC actively supports the Baker-Polito Administration’s commitment to addressing Massachusetts’ energy challenges, maintaining national leadership in clean energy, and meeting the requirements of the Global Warming Solutions Act.
MassCEC undertakes targeted programmatic initiatives to accelerate cost reductions in clean energy, help consumers diversify their energy choices and address evolving energy needs, leverage public and private funds to drive investment into this rapidly-growing sector, and scale-up renewable energy deployment across the state.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter through our Online Career CenterOpens in New Window.
Applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, ability and perspectives are encouraged to apply.
If interested, please apply here.