The Engine is seeking an Energy Operating Partner to help drive management of its growing energy portfolio. This individual will take active board seats, participate in close advisement of companies, strengthen and build a pipeline of relationships with industry specific capital providers and corporate partners, and contribute to The Engine’s overarching programs and mission of helping founders commercialize tough tech companies.
- Work alongside, coach, and mentor teams within The Engine portfolio, particularly those teams in the energy and climate reversal portfolio of The Engine.
- Exercise people and resource network to help portfolio companies accelerate and achieve milestones.
- Create opportunities and programming that benefit portfolio companies across the portfolio and especially the energy portfolio.
- Work collaboratively and closely across the entirety of the Engine team
- Hold board director seats when appropriate on behalf of The Engine.
- Embraces and thrives in doing work in a highly collaborative context, in a flat organization, and with a team of teams-approach.
Relevant Prior Experience & Capabilities
- At minimum, 15 years leadership experience in energy / climate sciences sector
- Experience as a senior executive at innovative company in an energy-related field (CEO, President, CBO, COO, CCO, CFO-type roles)
- Founder or part of initial team of a successful energy company, experience raising or deploying venture funding, developing novel technology and scaling it up through manufacturing and commercial deployment (prioritized)
- Experience at board-level as well as interfacing with investors
- Ability to operate as a generalist with specific functional domain expertise or those that have experience in more than one functional domain
- Execution driven ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Team-oriented (can work in team of teams approach), collaborative, and generous but can succeed as an individual contributor
- High achiever and ambitious, low ego
- Willing to experiment and is nimble and flexible
- Open and clear communicator; can give and receive feedback and communicates freely and openly
What we offer
- A mission-driven work environment and team, and the opportunity to work with world-class Tough Tech founders
- Competitive compensation, based on experience
- Health, Dental, Vision Insurance, 401k matching
About The Engine
The Engine, built by MIT, invests in early-stage companies solving the world’s biggest problems through the convergence of breakthrough science, engineering, and leadership. We accelerate the path to market for Tough Tech companies through a combination of capital, infrastructure, and network. These Tough Tech companies work in diverse arenas including advanced materials, energy, quantum computing, advanced manufacturing, artificial intelligence, biotech, robotics, space, and more.
The Engine Fund Invests long-term capital in startups that need time to make an impact. Develops founders from technical pioneers to company leaders by providing them with entrepreneurial knowledge, expertise, inspiration, and guidance.
The Engine Network Facilitates the creation of long-term mutually beneficial relationships between founders, startups, corporates, government, venture capital, among others.
The Engine Infrastructure Provides access to specialized labs, equipment, tools and space, both on-site and through a network of partner facilities, necessary to build transformative technologies economically and efficiently.
If interested, please apply here.