The Director of Venture Capital is a key participant in Medtronic’s venture capital investment group, within Medtronic’s overall Business Development and Strategy group. The Ventures team specializes in making and managing investments in emerging companies of strategic interest to Medtronic. The role includes selecting and prioritizing markets or sectors of investment interest in conjunction with Medtronic Portfolios and Operating Units and then originating new minority investments in companies of interest. Investment targets are selected on the basis of both strategic fit with Medtronic and the potential for excellent financial returns. The Director will work in close partnership with VPs and Associates on the Ventures team, as well as project teams that include personnel from various corporate and/or business unit functional departments including clinical, regulatory, healthcare economics, finance, legal, and information technology.
Impact patient outcomes. Discover a career where your recommendations help advance better healthcare options for patients, while investing your time and energy in the dynamic business environment of venture capital.
Responsibilities may include the following and other duties may be assigned.
- Network with Medtronic business leaders and outside CEOs and VCs to identify attractive opportunities
- Lead and coordinate due diligence activities on target companies for minority investment
- Lead and compile clinical and technical assessments of new medical technologies, healthcare services, and business models, as well as complete market and competitive analysis and profiling
- Lead and coordinate compilation and assessment of Medtech acquisition and IPO activity, major Medtech clinical developments, as well as venture capital investment trends to find new investment ideas for consideration
- Prepare and present investment recommendations to Executive Leadership for approval; and will present recommendations to other key executive and operating unit leaders and stakeholders
- Structure and negotiate terms and agreements for new investments
- Assess investment presentations from companies looking to raise venture and growth capital
- Serve as a Board Observer to help start-up companies succeed and generate attractive financial return on investment.
Must Have: Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 10 years of experience with 7+ years of managerial experience, or advanced degree with a minimum of 8 years of experience with 7+ years of managerial experience
Nice to Have
- Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in healthcare or medical technology within one of the following functions: venture capital investing, management consulting, investment banking, research & development, business development, or marketing
- Strong work ethic with high degree of initiative and motivation
- Dedicated learner with high level of intellectual curiosity
- Experience or past participation in acquisition or investment transactions
- Ability to persevere in a field filled with ambiguity and requires “needle in the haystack” persistence to find actionable investments
- Team player
- Ability to synthesize a broad array of data and information and ability to prepare and communicate recommendations and conclusions
- Willingness to use data, science, substance and facts to guide decisions
- Passion for working with and analyzing new medical technologies with the potential to solve current healthcare problems, including clinical, economic or individual access to healthcare
- Experience working with all levels of management and strong communication skills
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations – but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
If interested, please apply here.