Royal DSM is a purpose-led global science-based company in Nutrition, Health and Sustainable Living. DSM is driving economic prosperity, environmental progress and social advances to create sustainable value for all stakeholders. DSM delivers innovative business solutions for human nutrition, animal nutrition, personal care and aroma, medical devices, green products and applications, and new mobility and connectivity. DSM and its associated companies deliver annual net sales of about €10 billion with approximately 23,000 employees. The company is listed on Euronext Amsterdam.
More information can be found at http://www.dsm.com
Do you want to connect the speed and innovation typical in startups to the market leadership and operating excellence of a global leader? Are you interested in working in a center of excellence that accelerates the innovation power of core businesses of a company? If you have a proven record of success in boosting innovation & growth by creating new business options and experience in venture capital, this could be the perfect match for you!
The DSM Innovation Center (DIC) has two main functions. First, it serves to accelerate the innovation power and speed of our core businesses through a number of innovation enablers including DSM Venturing. Second, the Innovation Center has a business development role, focusing on areas outside the current scope of DSM’s business groups through the DSM Business Incubator by developing and extracting value from the company’s Emerging Business Areas.
DSM Venturing is the Corporate Venture Capital Unit of Royal DSM. DSM Venturing closely cooperates with leaders (President, Executive Leadership Teams, Innovation Directors, Head of Marketing & Sales) of selected DSM businesses in alignment with the overall DSM business and innovation strategy.
We are recruiting for:
Location: Cambridge, MA, USA
As Investment Director, you possess the experience (domain as well as leadership), passion and drive and gravitas to be a champion for innovation, both internally and externally. The position reports to Managing Director DSM Venturing – Vice-President DIC.
You can be part of the DSM competence center for external start-up investments!
In the role of Investment Director, you will:
- Envision and apply DSM Venturing as a strategic tool to create multiple options that align with DSM strategic objectives and which can be used as “anchors” for the BGs and EBAs to pull towards in the future.
- Play a central role in realizing the DSM Venturing goal of boosting innovation via external participations in innovative start-up companies and supporting DSM in its innovation and growth strategy.
- Create multiple strategic anchor points for selected DSM focus areas to develop and accelerate the ability to move into new areas.
- Create multiple future options to acquire, partner or sell, to have a positive impact on DSM accelerating the speed of growth and innovation.
- Incorporate new business models capturing value in the chain, and truly understanding what (future) end market needs and potential are.
- Contribute to and execute strategy for the focus area within the scope of the DSM V2020 strategy.
- Build and maintain extensive internal and external network, also builds network in anticipation of future DSM Business needs (existing or new).
- Contribute to optimization and prioritization of the portfolio in terms of financial performance as well as strategic return.
- Represent DSM when scouting and screening investment opportunities.
- Lead multidisciplinary due diligence teams (marketing/sales, team/HR, technical, IP, legal, financial, M&A), to assess, negotiate and close investment deals, develop term sheets when acting as lead investor, and/or participate in the development of a syndicated term sheet with co-investors.
- As a Board member of investment companies, assist the startups be successful and help them monetize value including when they exit
What we look for in you:
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of (corporate) venture capital and/or startup leadership experience required; this includes investments, board positions, divestments in fields within the scope of DSM’s activities.
- A strong network that includes startups, venture firms, academia and other corporates in relevant US and/or EU innovation hubs.
- Deep understanding of the DSM technologies/competences and relevant business areas.
- Investment experience in advanced materials, such as solar and 3D printing
- Proven ability to work within global companies as well as in start-up environments.
- Integrated/deep understanding of advanced materials markets, business, the entire value chain (to end user), trends and timing, financials and sufficient technical, IP, legal understanding as a basis to negotiate and close complex investments and to support companies after investment.
- Acceptance and respect at a board level, both internally and externally. As a (minority) shareholder / board member able to act on and solve critical issues.
- Strong insights with the capability to challenge and influence and develop
Working for DSM means the opportunity to really contribute to improve people’s lives and solving the challenges of today’s world. Challenging jobs, career development and an inspiring environment allow you to enhance your personal development. DSM recognizes that the on-going success of the company depends on the continued development and engagement of our employees and pursues a fair and competitive remuneration policy, recognizing individual and team competencies and performance.
Procedure & Contact:
Interested in this position? Please apply on-line by sending us your Resume and Cover letter in English via the career portal (https://www.dsm.com/corporate/careers.html).
Royal DSM is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
DSM in 3 minutes
Do you know that DSM has the broadest portfolio of nutritional ingredients – that millions of people already have our biomaterials in their body – and that our innovations make materials lighter, healthier, safer, stronger, more durable and have a lower environmental footprint? This short 3 minute video shares our portfolio in Nutrition, Health and Sustainable Living
If interested, please apply here.