Since 1851, MassMutual’s commitment has always been to help people protect their families, support their communities, and help one another. This is why we want to inspire people to Live Mutual. We at MassMutual value diversity and inclusion. We’re people helping people.
A career with us means you will work alongside exceptional people and be empowered to reach your professional and personal goals. Our employees are the foundation of what makes MassMutual a strong, stable and ethical business. We seek and value unique and varied perspectives and experiences because we believe we are stronger when all voices are heard. We invite you to bring your bright, innovative ideas to MassMutual as we continue to help millions of Americans rely on each other.
This role will be responsible for the day-to-day coordination, operation and oversight of MassMutual’s Community-Based Venture Capital Investment Programs that seek to provide a fair investment return to MassMutual through seed stage investments in startup companies, while at the same time encouraging employment growth within the targeted communities. The initial Community-Based Venture Capital Investment Program is the Springfield Venture Fund targeting startups within Springfield, Massachusetts.
MassMutual’s Community-Based Venture Capital programs are a joint endeavor of MassMutual’s Community Responsibility team and MassMutual Investment Management. A successful candidate will have both the skills, temperament and tenacity of a community organizer and the analytical rigor and investment acumen of an investment professional. The successful candidate will need to be able to assess problems, take the initiative in identifying solutions and act independently, while at the same time maintaining appropriate coordination and communication with multiple constituents.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
+ Identify and engage individuals who have the potential to meaningfully enable the development and growth of startup companies and entrepreneurship within our target communities.
+ Support the building of an engaged startup venture investing ecosystem within our target communities.
+ Together with other team members, review proposals for seed capital investments and formulate recommendations to the applicable Investment Committee.
+ Monitor the progress of potential target and current portfolio startup companies within our target communities.
+ Serve as a mentor, advisor and networking resource for current portfolio venture companies and select potential target businesses.
+ Provide periodic quantitative and qualitative reporting on the performance of portfolio companies and the community value creation of our Community-Based investment programs to senior management.
- At least 5 years demonstrated experience at community-based small business lending or venture capital investing.
- An effective networker with demonstrated resilience in the face of adversity.
- Some formal investment or credit training is strongly preferred.
- Some history and experience in community organizing is helpful.
- Effective oral and written communications skills both with technical audiences concerned about investment performance metrics and with general audiences that may have less familiarity with investment jargon.
Position will be based with MassMutual Investment Management in Boston, Massachusetts. But candidate will need to spend significant time within our target communities and have the flexibility to travel extensively, initially within Massachusetts.
- Focus on the Customer: We understand our customers well and look for every opportunity to deliver an experience that is clear, easy, personal, human, empowering and trustworthy.
- Act with Integrity: We deliver on our promises by being open, honest and humble and by adhering to the letter and spirit of applicable laws, rules, regulations and company policies.
- Value People: We respect and learn from each other’s diverse backgrounds, experiences and ideas. We engage and develop people to their greatest potential.
- Work Collaboratively: We work together to achieve results by actively listening, seeking, understanding and creating solutions as a unified team driving toward one company, one culture, one brand.
- Achieve Results: We focus on winning by exceeding expectations and getting better – everyone, every day.
For more information, visit http://www.massmutual.com or find us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Google+, Instagram and Pinterest.
If interested, please apply here.