Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
We are transitioning to a hybrid work environment where both remote work and the office play a critical role. Our vision is a future where all employees are empowered to work flexibly to drive the best outcomes for our clients. Flexible work is a mindset and a core value. Our employees are encouraged to work remotely two days a week as a standard practice and will have flexibility in terms of working hours.
Wellington has been investing in private markets for many years, and the Firm launched its first dedicated private capital fund in 2014. Today, the Private Equity Platform currently manages approximately $5 billion in committed capital across a broad range of private equity strategies including late-stage growth, multi-stage sustainability venture, early-stage venture, and hybrid financials and is one of the fastest growing investment groups within Wellington. We have built broad private market capabilities powered by the innovative spirit of a boutique and the resources and stability of a global investment manager. We aim to use our global scale, sector research, sustainability expertise and market reach to help partner with innovative, disruptive companies in the private market. Today, we invest globally and focus on consumer, technology, health care, biotechnology, financial services, and climate technology. Our industry networks, deep insights, and our private and public markets expertise make us strong partners for entrepreneurs.
As part of the continued expansion of our Private Investing capabilities, we are seeking to recruit a Venture Associate for our private Climate Innovation Fund (CIF), a venture capital fund focused on climate solutions. CIF will invest in late venture and early growth stage companies developing solutions that help mitigate and/or adapt to climate change. The investment strategy will span a broad set of sectors including energy, buildings, smart cities, industrial efficiency, mobility, and food and agriculture, typically with tech-enabled applications and solutions. The Associate will be involved in all aspects of the deal process and will work directly with our senior investment team to assist in the sourcing, diligence, and management of portfolio companies and operation of the fund. The ideal candidate will be a self-directed, hard-working team player who is passionate about both private investing and climate adaptation/mitigation. This is a great opportunity for someone looking to join a growing team and gain the foundations of venture investing and establish a career in VC with clear potential to progress within CIF and Wellington’s broader private investing platform.
The following essential skills are required for the role:
- Analytical acumen, modeling, research, and passion –The ideal candidate will have superior financial modeling skills and analytical capabilities and an eagerness to apply their expertise in support of CIF. The ability to synthesize disparate information, identify the most important elements, and arrive at a conclusion is required. The Associate will be curious about private investing and the climate and demonstrate a strong desire to identify differentiated investment opportunities through a thorough research and due diligence process.
- Superior collaboration and influencing skills – The Associate will be a self-directed, hard-working team player, who contributes to the investment efforts of the CIF Investing team. The successful candidate will enjoy contributing to a highly collaborative investment environment and will build strong trusting relationships internally with colleagues across the Private Investing, Investment Research and Climate Research teams, including our Woodwell Climate Research Center partnership as well as externally with potential portfolio companies and co-investors. The ability to communicate (both verbally and in writing) and contribute to an open investment dialogue is required.
- Growth mindset – The flexibility and openness to continue learning, evolving, and growing as an Associate is important. The Associate will have a global perspective and creative approach for analyzing companies and industries that serve both climate mitigation and adaptation. Success in this role will open progression opportunities within CIF and broader Wellington.
- Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal communication. The ability to clearly communicate is critical when interacting with management teams, collaborating with internal and external partners, and drafting investment memos and other documents. It’s also important to display strong communication skills when evaluating and articulating the investment merits of a deal.
- Passion – the Associate will have a strong interest and passion for climate change and sustainability, as well as in emerging technologies and the application of technology to address global challenges.
Responsibilities for this position will include the following:
- Assisting with outbound market research and industry mapping activities
- Performing due diligence on prospective portfolio companies
- Building and maintaining company financial models and other analysis on current and prospective investments
- Drafting investment memos and participating in investment committee discussions
- Attending target company management meetings and relevant industry conferences
- Assist with quarterly and annual reporting needs for Limited Partners
- Build and manage internal databases including investment pipelines and co-investment partners
- Completing complex analytical projects under tight time constraints
Additional qualifications and individual characteristics include:
- Two to four years of prior experience preferably in investment banking, private equity, consulting, or venture capital; strong applicants with other relevant experience (e.g., investment management in public markets) will also be considered
- Strong academic credentials and track record: an undergraduate degree is required, MBA is optional
- Strong collaborative nature, including the ability to respectfully discuss and debate the merits and risks of potential investments with colleagues
- Ability to organize, manage, and prioritize time well
- Superior financial modeling skills, confidence to build financial model from scratch and identify the correct drivers
- Market mapping and desktop research experiences in previous professional role
- Ability to work independently and make decisions in the face of uncertainty
- Demonstrated analytical, problem-solving ability
- Sound judgment, strong work ethic and highest personal and professional integrity
- Interest and ability to build network in start-up ecosystem including entrepreneurs, adjacent funds, accelerators, etc.
- Ability to receive and act on constructive feedback
- A high degree of intellectual curiosity
- Strong attention to detail.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? That’s ok. If you believe that you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply and welcome a chance to review your background. We are dedicated to building and maintaining a diversified workforce and considering a broad array of candidates with a variety of skill, workplace experiences, and backgrounds.
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .
If interested, please apply here.