Roles and Responsibilities
The Engine is a lean and highly collaborative team. This position reports to the General Partners and involves direct responsibilities in investment activities, as well as support and guidance responsibilities related to the continued development and operations of The Engine Network, The Engine Program and The Engine Room.
Key Responsibilities Include
- Source, evaluate, and prioritize a robust pipeline of Tough Tech startups with focus on pre-seed, seed, and Series A stages
- Help maintain an up-to-date pipeline and database of investments
- Develop and maintain a broad network of researchers and entrepreneurs to increase deal flow
- Perform business and technical diligence on new investment opportunities and help produce investment memos
- Work with General Partners to structure investments in Tough Tech startups
- Represent Engine and our mission and advocate for Tough Tech in the startup and academic ecosystems
- Be flexible to take on new responsibilities as they come up to enable goals across the fund, the Engine program, and the Engine Network
Skills And Qualifications
- Strong alignment with The Engine’s mission to enable Tough Tech entrepreneurs to create world-changing companies
- Empathy for the entrepreneurial journey and ability to build trust and drive results with entrepreneurs and Engine teammates
- Dedicated team player committed to collaboration
- Superior communication, listening and critical thinking skills
- Comfortable with diverse engineering and scientific disciplines
- Outstanding mental agility, adaptability, creativity and problem-solving skills
- Strong analytical skills, both qualitative and quantitative.
- 5+ years of relevant work experience with a demonstration of entrepreneurial activity in industry, research, or a combination of both. Direct experience in a Tough Tech startup a huge plus.
- Graduate degree in a scientific/technical field.
About The Engine
The Engine, founded by MIT, is a $200M venture fund and support platform focused on early-stage companies developing world-changing technologies. It offers long-term capital (The Engine Fund), access to specialized equipment (The Engine Room), connectivity to industrial and academic partners (The Engine Network) and the entrepreneurial knowledge and guidance to succeed (The Engine Program).
The Engine is located in Central Square in Cambridge and operates a 25,000 square-foot facility with co-working offices, a bio lab, a wet chemistry lab and a prototyping shop. Since opening its doors in June 2017, The Engine has committed resources to 23 companies and created an unprecedented framework for bringing tough tech from the lab to the commercial world. Our website contains additional details about our founders, our team, our mission and our offering: http://www.engine.xyz
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com