Omega Funds is a leading international healthcare investment firm: we create and invest in life sciences companies targeting the most urgent unmet medical needs. Omega has raised close to $2 billion since its inception in 2004. We are currently investing out of Omega Fund VII, a $660 million biotech fund closed in April 2021. Omega has a transatlantic footprint, with its headquarters in Boston, MA, as well as a presence in Switzerland.
The last letter of the Greek alphabet “Ω” encompasses Omega’s brand, and its investment strategy. We like to invest keeping in mind our endgame, which is bringing products to patients by partnering with exceptional people. To date, our portfolio companies have brought 47 products to market in multiple therapeutic areas, including oncology, rare diseases, precision medicine and others. 40 of these companies have gone public and 38 have been acquired so far. Omega specializes in identifying and funding companies through meaningful value inflection points, from company formation through clinical milestones and commercial adoption. These impactful, value-creating inflection points are achieved by targeting severe, unmet medical needs with novel therapeutics, devices, or platform technologies.
Job Description / Role and Responsibilities
- Assist Omega colleagues with scientific and business due diligence as it relates to specific investment opportunities or general areas of investment interest, including conducting technical/scientific/IP due diligence, performing market, competitive and exit analyses and clinical development strategy assessments, constructing financial and investment return models, and assessing key risks and mitigants;
- Conduct primary and secondary research to support investment opportunities, including through reviews of scientific literature and discussions with consultants and key opinion leaders;
- Identify attractive investment areas through analysis of unmet medical needs and market opportunities, and networking with key opinion leaders and industry executives;
- Build relationships with top academics, entrepreneurs and other venture professionals to gain access to breakthrough discoveries and technologies;
- Obtain commanding knowledge and understanding of identified subject matters. Associate will belong to several disease area / modality teams within the firm. Candidates should be prepared to discuss which of disease area/modality teams would be most suited to their background, as well as produce / defend 1-2 potentially high-impact investment ideas (companies and technologies);
- Update and maintain proprietary firm databases; and
- Provide written documentation in the form of executive summaries and diligence / investment memos that succinctly describe research and analyses performed.
Seeking individuals who:
- Are intellectually curious, intelligent, resourceful, self-starters, driven and capable of proactively prioritize competing demands while delivering results in a timely manner and at the highest level of quality; attention to detail and a strong work ethic a must;
- Are highly comfortable with analytics and numbers and have the capability to make decisions based on both intuition and data;
- Can work independently and as part of a team;
- Are respectful of and committed to upholding Omega’s values and culture;
- Have exceptional written, verbal and interpersonal skills;
- Have a demonstrated passion for life sciences/healthcare with a strong scientific and/or clinical background, including an MD and/or PhD in the biological or clinical sciences, with a focus on oncology or immunology a plus; ideally having worked in a research institution / laboratory that has published in high-impact journals with a recognized Principal Investigator;
- Preferably have prior work experience in an operating (ideally in R&D) role at a biotech start-up and/or in venture capital investing;
- Possesses expertise in Microsoft PowerPoint/Excel and other productivity software suites; and
- Can parallel process multiple ongoing projects at once and take ownership for driving next steps.
If interested, please apply here.