This role reports to the Managing Director and is a key team member of a leading global corporate life sciences venture fund. The fund is focused on investing in bio therapeutics.
The fund’s primary mandate is to optimize financial returns and has done so through historically by focusing on innovative companies seeking to develop products that may be paradigm changing in areas of high-unmet need.
Your primary initial role will be to collaborate with and support senior members of the team. This includes frequently interacting with our external stakeholders in the industry and venture capital, and also internal colleague stakeholders in the Novartis Group Companies. Plus, you will successfully operate in a start-up environment.
The position will be based in Cambridge and will require some travel.
More specifically, you will:
• Assist NVF MD colleagues in all stages of scientific and business due diligence including specific scientific due diligence, investment specific diligence, market analysis and financial modelling, and conducting primary and secondary research.
• Assist in all stages of scientific due diligence in partnership with the NVF team. Particular emphasis will be on the scientific aspects of an investment including competitive analysis of the field, thorough review of publication available and leading discussions with consultants as well as KOLs in the area.
• Review and evaluate new business plans, scientific publications, and data derived by company.
• Prepare and maintain internal documentation on potential investments/portfolio companies, including investment memos and financial analyses.
• Create presentations and build financial models to support new and ongoing investments.
• Support existing portfolio company investments by coordinating interactions with the NVF fund and other parts of Novartis AG (Pharma and NIBR in particular) from time to time to support senior NVF leadership..
• Perform other tasks as necessary to support the team.
Why consider Novartis?
That’s how many lives our products touch. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine. EEO Statement
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
What you’ll bring to the role:
• PhD in a natural science, or MD, is required.
• Additional MBA is a plus.
• 4+ years of related experience in the pharmaceutical/ biotechnology industry.
• Strong scientific background, excellent understanding of the life science market, and the pharma world as well as medical needs and emerging science and technology trends
• Strong familiarity with the scientific due diligence processes
• Experience prioritizing, coordinating, and managing several projects simultaneously
• Excellent interpersonal and business communication skills. Presentation expertise
• Effective in an international high-performance environment
• Proactive, hands-on, and entrepreneurial individual with a great passion for research, analysis and investments
• Strong strategic orientation with good analytical and conceptual ability and adept to think beyond the own area
Ability to travel as needed.
If interested, please apply here.