Fast Track Initiative (FTI) is a venture capital firm that operates in Japan and Boston and exclusively focuses its investment on early-stage life science startups. As a hands-on investor with significant industry experience, FTI brings knowledge, expertise, and network to the portfolio companies and helps them with strategy, organization, and partnerships. FTI has invested in Japan for more than 15 years and recently started activities in the US.
FTI is now looking for an Associate in its US office to ramp up US investment operations. The Associate will work with a VP at US Office but work equally close with other members in Japan to align operations in US and Japan. The Associate is expected to be a key member of FTI’s US operation launch and will be given a significant amount of responsibility and autonomy.
The Associate will work with and support VP at the US office and other core members of FTI to build a network and investment portfolio in the US.
- Sourcing and investments: Generate new investment opportunities, deep dive and evaluate scientific potential, identify growth opportunities and key risks, and help Investment Committee make an investment decision
- Hands-on support: Provide strategic and operational support to portfolio companies. This includes bringing them scientific and business insights, facilitating strategic partnerships and investor syndication, recruiting management team, and other key roles
- Network building and marketing: Establish and maintain VC/biotech/pharma network and build a significant brand reputation of FTI in the US investment community
As one of the future core members of the firm, the Associate also has opportunities to be involved in various other key work of the firm.
- Collaboration with Japan: Contribute to firm’s activities in Japan such as newco creation/incubation, portfolio support, planning industry forums and seminars, relationship management with corporates etc
- Fund management: Work can also span to various other topics related to VC fund management, including LP development and management, strategy building, fund and finance operation
- Advanced scientific degree (PhD, MD, MS) from an accredited institution in biology, biochemistry, pharmacy, or veterinarian strongly desired
- 1-4 years of hands-on experience at either of 1) a venture capital firm, growth equity, or private equity firm investing in life science, 2) business role at one of leading pharma/healthcare/biotech companies, or 3) consulting or banking company in its healthcare practice desired
- Strong interest in both US and Japanese biotech startup industries desired
- English and Japanese comprehension, speaking, writing preferred
- Strong research and documentation skills and solid written communication
- Strong self-drive, integrity, entrepreneurial spirit, and interpersonal skills to build and maintain relationships with external parties and internal members
- Proficiency in standard business-related applications and software (eg MSOffice)
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction.
- Must reside in the US to apply.
- Must be willing to take short- to mid-term business travels to Japan.
- Must be willing to take a drug test and post-offer physical (if required).
If interested, please apply here.