The Dementia Discovery Fund (DDF) is the world’s first and largest specialist venture capital fund that invests in novel approaches to treat dementia (including Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Huntingtin’s, ALS/FTD, etc.), whilst delivering an attractive return for the fund investors. The DDF is managed by SV Health Investors, formerly SV Life Sciences, a leading healthcare and life sciences venture capital and growth equity firm with a 25-year track record and offices in Boston and London. the DDF has raised £250 million ($350 million at the time of completion) for its first fund from an influential group of strategic investors committed to developing new medicines for dementia. The limited partners include a unique collaboration of leading global pharmaceutical companies, charitable organizations and government agencies.
The Dementia Discovery Fund is seeking an Associate/Analyst to assist in sourcing and evaluating potential investment and company creation opportunities, research and perform technical and business due diligence on prospective deals, assist deal execution and project management, and support our portfolio companies. The Associate/Analyst would also collaborate with scientific and other staff within DDF and the broader community in support of our investments and our strategic mission.
This role provides a unique opportunity to be part of a specialty life sciences venture fund and drive new investments with strategic focus. The individual will partner with the senior investment team and provide front-line support in all aspects of new investments.
The Associate/Analyst will be expected to operate in an entrepreneurial environment and exhibit independence and leadership capabilities. The position requires strong communication skills and will frequently interact with our external stakeholders in industry and venture capital, as well as our internal stakeholders. The position will be based in Boston and will require some travel. The position is available immediately and has long-term potential for advancement within the fund.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Adjusted for Experience and Assignments
· Attend and coordinate company presentations and pitches as part of the due diligence process.
· Lead scientific due diligence in partnership with the DDF team and outside experts.
· Assist in all stages of business due diligence including investment specific diligence, market analysis and financial modeling, and conducting primary and secondary research.
· Create, review and evaluate new business plans.
· Source new investment opportunities through analysis of scientific and market opportunities and identify appropriate targets, attend industry events (such as conferences), and contact and build relationships with key academics and executives.
· For the Analyst role, keep the team current on major developments in the field, by gathering intelligence on industry pipelines, new research findings, new companies, and other relevant information.
· Key role in deal and pipeline management including deal review and tracking, deal meetings, etc. Prepare and maintain internal documentation on potential investments and portfolio companies, including investment presentations and financial analyses. Create, update and maintain proprietary firm databases.
· Create presentations and build financial models to support new and ongoing investments.
· Expected to be actively involved in portfolio company management through ongoing analysis.
· Perform other tasks as necessary to support the team.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
· Demonstrated passion for health care and dementia, with degree in relevant scientific discipline. Advanced degree required.
· Prior experience in venture capital, strategic consulting, investment banking, equity research or business or corporate development in life sciences required. Post-MBA candidates from top institutions will also be considered.
· Experience with neuroscience or related therapeutic areas or disciplines (immunology, metabolic disease, drug discovery, etc.) a strong positive.
· Must be an entrepreneurial individual with ability to work and exhibit independence in a dynamic, fast-moving environment. Must be able to pro-actively prioritize competing demands and deliver high-quality results.
· Experience with corporate finance, equity financing, and relevant financial modeling required.
· Exceptional written, verbal and interpersonal skills (including networking) are required. Experience in written and oral communication to senior executive level audiences a plus.
· Must have strong integrity, judgement, work ethic, and be a team player. Interest in working for a mission driven organization required.
If interested, please apply here.