Ulysses Diversified Holdings is looking for Analysts to help us change the world.
This is likely going to be the hardest job you’ve ever had in your life. We’ll ask you to take responsibility for yourself, our companies and the impact we all have in the world. This is an apprenticeship model, where you’re expected to be independent and do the work alongside our team and our companies.
The hours are as long as necessary to change the world – you do the math. Please recognize that our Analyst position is coming in at the ground level and we try very hard to stay lean and close to the action. We don’t have assistants. We don’t have “people” who do things. We do things. All of us here at Ulysses. That’s life. Doing the small things is what connects us to the reality of startup life.
Everyone takes a pay cut to come to Ulysses. This world needs missionaries, not mercenaries. When we create value, we share that value, pure and simple.
You will learn the ins and outs of new company creation, venture capital and private equity while starting up and scaling our own companies and analyzing other investment opportunities. In 3 years, we expect all our Analysts to be working actively inside a company in a leadership position, starting their own company or continuing to grow their career in venture capital or private equity. As long as you continue to support and project our values in the world, you’ll always be a member of the Ulysses team, even after you move on to another company or start your own company.
Ulysses Diversified Holdings is a private, diversified holding company founding, incubating, growing and funding cutting-edge biotech, high-tech and consumer-focused companies. Ulysses supports entrepreneurially-minded individuals, their companies and other startups with the world’s best executive talent and resources in finance, legal, strategy, leadership development, recruiting, HR, and business development.
While we have access to hundreds of millions of dollars in permanent, evergreen capital, we are not a typical venture capital shop. We evaluate our projects using three simple criteria: 1) it must be a problem worth solving, 2) we must be working with good people, and 3) we must be able to add value beyond the check we write. Problem worth solving, people worth helping and time worth spending. Simple. We choose our projects for maximum impact in the world and our communities. We do the work. Right alongside entrepreneurs and their families.
Ulysses’ mission to “Make People Better at Making the World a Better Place” is a recognition that the greatest impact on the world will be made with and through people who share its core values, work ethic and commitment to excellence.
While we are a biotech and healthcare heavy shop, we have a strategy to reach millions of people through our more consumer-focused efforts. As an example, Ulysses is the owner and manager of New England Rugby Club (aka the Free Jacks), which is a part of Major League Rugby. Ulysses is intimately involved in every aspect of day-to-day operations of the professional rugby team and the league. As a member of the Ulysses team, be prepared to love rugby.
There is no “typical” day at Ulysses, nor is there a “typical” person. We need insanely hard-working, motivated leaders who understand that no job is too small in a startup while no ambition is too large over the long run.
- Make People Better at Making the World a Better Place.
- Act with integrity.
- Be present, do the work.
- Be an entrepreneurially-minded, self-starter constantly looking for ways to add value without being told what to do every minute of the day
- A strong technical or financial background and general curiosity about the way the world works
- Superior written and verbal communication skills. The ability to articulate thoughts in a clear and concise manner through written correspondence, presentations and in meetings
- Strong skills in at least a few of: PowerPoint, Excel, Benchling, antibody engineering, functional genomics, Quickbooks, Filemaker Pro, Adobe Create Suite, CRM platforms, Matlab, R, Python, Java, SQL, Scratch
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent Thiel Fellowship
- Minimum 1 – 2 years of work experience in private equity, investment banking, or management consulting as an Analyst or 3-4 years of work experience in another field.
- Bachelor’s Degree with a concentration in Finance, Economics, Accounting or a related field
If interested, please apply here.