At MassMutual Ventures, we invest in entrepreneurial companies that possess the potential to reshape their industries. MMV combines an experienced venture capital investment team with the global reach of a Fortune 100 financial services company, and our team has built an industry reputation for being return-oriented while delivering significant value from the corporate relationships we help to create.
MMV is a small, non-hierarchical, and inclusive team of professionals based in Bostonâ€™s Seaport District. We foster an open and collaborative environment, and provide ongoing mentorship, support, and potential for career advancement to all of our team members.Â
To date, MMV has deployed almost $200M of venture capital investments into a broad portfolio of startup companies and early-stage seed venture capital funds. We continually analyze the quarterly and Â financial performance statements from over 30 discrete investment entities, and our assessment of the fair market value (FMV) valuations of our investment positions are summarized into a quarterly portfolio report for our sole limited partner, MassMutual.
The Venture Capital Investment Analyst will collaborate closely with the rest of the MMV investment team, and will identify promising investment candidates, develop bottoms-up financial models (IS, BS, CF), and structure venture capital investments.Â An average day might include evaluating 10 new companies from MMVâ€™s algorithmic sourcing tool, emailing 5 CEOs to set up introductory calls and product demos, critically reviewing 3 company models from potential investment targets, and summarizing diligence notes from 3 customer calls. A sincere interest in and curiosity about early-stage software entrepreneurship is a must have for this role.
Objectives of this role
- Source 1,000 â€” 1,500 software companies of potential investment interest each year using MMVâ€™s proprietary data analytics tool, and record findings of interest in MMVâ€™s customer relationship management (CRM) tool, Affinity.
- Map the product offerings of these startups against the broader competitive landscape, and screen potential investment opportunities via initial calls with company management.
- Elevate 100+ candidates of interest each year to the principal and managing directors of the fund in the teamâ€™s weekly meetings.
- Handle initial financial statement review, financial modeling, and investment structure analysis for active deals.
Daily and monthly responsibilities
- Using MMVâ€™s proprietary tool to screen historical industry transactions for companies of interest that may be coming back out to market for a subsequent financing round.
- Managing initial communication with startup company CEOs, CFOs, and senior management to determine whether company progress and scale meets MMV targets.
- Presenting sourced deal opportunities to the full MMV team on a weekly basis, and providing an end-of-week summary regarding sourcing progress.
- Developing familiarity with MMVâ€™s standard linked financial models, valuation tools, and waterfall returns analyses
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant major (Finance, Computer Science, etc.) or relevant applicable work experience
- At least 1 year of experience in related field (investment banking, start-up experience, private equity research, FP&A, strategy, etc.)
- Finance background sufficient to parse standard GAAP financial statements.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Professional demeanor. This individual is expected to communicate professionally with software company CEOs, and to represent MMV to the broader entrepreneurial and venture capital investment industry.
- Prior entrepreneurial experience a plus, but not required
- Experience with professional writing and presentation
If interested, please apply here.