Amherst College invites applications for the Senior Investment Director position in our Boston office. The Senior Investment Director is a full time, year-round position, job group and level PT-5. Given Amherst’s distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the ways in which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a broadly diverse community.
The Senior Investment Director will assist the Chief Investment Officer and the Investment Committee in the oversight and ongoing diligence of investment managers and strategies utilized to manage the Amherst College and Folger Shakespeare Memorial Library endowments. The Senior Investment Director is expected to have strong working relationships with external investment managers and service providers, some of whom may have an existing relationship with the College and others who are prospective in nature. A key aspect of the Senior Investment Director role, in addition to others on the Investment Office team, is the ability to drive strong risk-adjusted returns for the endowment through excellent manager selection, risk management, and portfolio construction. The Senior Investment Director is expected to participate in the College’s efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
Summary of Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Screening, due diligence and ongoing monitoring related to both existing and prospective investment managers in a variety of asset classes, including private and public equity and debt, venture capital, real estate, energy, and other commodities, timber and absolute return/hedge fund strategies. They are also expected to proactively identify, research and evaluate new investment opportunities for possible inclusion in the portfolio.
- Assist the Chief Investment Officer and the Investment Office staff in the ongoing evaluation, both quantitative and qualitative, monitoring and management of the existing investment firms employed by the College to ensure they are adhering to their stated investment strategy and processes.
- Assist in the preparation of materials for the Amherst College Investment Committee, Board of Trustees, Alumni meetings and other high-level audiences on a variety of topics.
- Additionally, it is expected that the Senior Investment Officer will be a mentor to the less experienced members of the team with the objective of expanding their knowledge of the investment industry, the endowment portfolio, its managers and what tools are available and how to use them to evaluate these areas.
- Be a leader in creating and maintaining an unclusive culture for all staff.
- Other projects and responsibilities may be assigned from time to time.
- The Senior Investment Director must be willing and able to travel to meet with both existing and prospective investment managers (travel is expected to be ~35-40%).
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 10 years of related investment experience
- Solid understanding of capital markets and complex investment strategies, with demonstrated ability and success in analyzing and screening investment opportunities, asset allocation, and portfolio construction
- Demonstrated quantitative and qualitative analytical skills, experience with PC-based databases
- Working knowledge of relevant Investment analytic tools, including but not limited to Bloomberg, Morningstar, and Private Informant
- Competent with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Professional, highly organized and of unquestioned integrity
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to work effectively with all constituencies
- Must be self-motivated, enthusiastic, hard-working, and able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Commitment to working with a diverse and inclusive community
- MBA, CFA and/or CAIA designations
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (email and/or telephone numbers) for three professional references. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
ABOUT AMHERST COLLEGE
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The College’s community is composed of about 1,800 students from 48 states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The College’s scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum, Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst the perfect place to work, learn and live!
If interested, please apply here.