Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
The MRL Ventures Fund is the Cambridge, MA-based corporate venture capital investment group within Merck Research Laboratories, the R&D division of Merck & Co., Inc. MRL Ventures Fund creates and/or invests in seed and early-stage therapeutics companies, based on translatable breakthrough science, with the potential to deliver highly differentiated new medicines to improve human health.
The Senior Associate, Ventures Fund, will support the fund President and Partners in sourcing, comprehensively evaluating, building supportive business cases, and in making recommendations to our research division’s Ventures Investment Committee for private equity investments in biotechnology companies. S/he will be involved in deal negotiation, syndication and closing and will also play a role in new company creation. S/he may represent our research division’s Ventures Fund on portfolio company boards, commensurate with experience and subject matter expertise.
- Sourcing early-stage venture investments in therapeutics discovery companies.
- Assisting in venture-creation efforts – including company conception and construction, team recruiting, deal syndication, and interim management.
- Conducting/coordinating in-depth scientific and business diligence to develop a strong investment thesis, including solicitation of technical input from our organization and external subject matter experts.
- Assisting with all aspects of deal process including syndication, term sheet negotiation, and definitive document preparation.
- Assisting with post-deal management – including support of management, company strategy, and follow-on investment.
- Building and maintaining close relationships entrepreneurs, scientists, clinicians and other investors.
- Financial analysis and valuation of new and existing investments, as well as portfolio analysis.
- Drafting informal and formal investment recommendations for presentation to our research division’s Ventures Fund Investment Committee.
- Assisting with other fund administrative or operational activities as required by the fund President.
Required Experience And Skills
1.5 years in venture, or at least 6 years in the biopharmaceutical industry in a business development orientated role.
Preferred Experience And Skills
Some board, board observer or operating experience in the startup biotech environment preferred.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
If interested, please apply here.