The Senior Venture Capital Associate is a key participant on the Medtronic Ventures (“Ventures”) team, Medtronic’s venture capital investment group. Ventures is part of Medtronic’s overall corporate Business Development and Strategy function, and the Ventures group specializes in making minority investments in emerging companies of strategic interest to Medtronic. Projects include selecting and prioritizing markets or sectors of investment interest in conjunction with Medtronic Groups and Regions and then assessing, engaging, negotiating and closing investments in start-up and emerging companies. In addition to strategic fit, Investments must generate strong investment returns. The Associate will work in close partnership with VPs and Directors on the Ventures team, as well as project teams that generally include personnel from various corporate and/or business unit functional departments including business development, clinical, regulatory, healthcare economics, finance, legal, and information technology.
The Associate will participate in investment activity by performing financial analysis of new potential and existing minority investments, but will also participate in technical, clinical, and market due diligence, as well as investment structuring, negotiation, and closing investment transactions. The Associate is also responsible for preparing and presenting new investment proposals and recommendations to executive management related to these investments.
We believe that when people from different cultures, genders, and points of view come together, innovation is the result — and everyone wins. Medtronic walks the walk, creating an inclusive culture where you can thrive.
Impact patient outcomes. Come for a job, stay for a career.A Day in the Life
Responsibilities may include the following and other duties may be assigned:
- You will coordinate due diligence activities on target companies relating to target pro forma financial modeling, target pro forma capitalization table, waterfall, and investment return scenario analysis.
- You will coordinate weekly investment team meeting agendas, logging projects through the evaluation process and engaging in active discussions about the pro’s and con’s of target opportunities.
- You will research and compile clinical and technical assessments of new and existing medical technologies, healthcare services and business models, as well as complete market and competitive analysis and profiling.
- You will prepare monthly reports of venture capital and private equity activity and trends.
- You will participate with the Ventures team in receiving and vetting investment presentations by companies seeking to raise venture and growth capital.
- You will perform analysis to determine potential market size and opportunity for new products and technologies.
- You will support corporate-wide strategic initiatives as well as Ventures/Corporate Development process and capability improvement activities.
- You will prepare presentation materials for meetings with Medtronic constituents relating to approval and reporting investments.
Must Have: Minimum Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree plus 4+ years of experience in healthcare or medical technology within one of the following functions: venture capital investing, consulting, investment banking, research & development, business development, or marketing (or 2+ years with an advanced degree)
Nice to Have
- Strong work ethic with high degree of initiative and motivation
- Dedicated learner with high level of intellectual curiosity
- Proficiency in financial analysis and modeling
- Ability to persevere in a field filled with ambiguity and requires “needle in the haystack” persistence to find actionable investments
- Team player
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations – but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
If interested, please apply here.