The Executive Director of Corporate Venture Capital for BIVF US will be responsible for identifying, sourcing, and managing biotech equity investments for BIVF US’s investment program. The overall goal of the role is to create strategic options for the future of the BI Corporation to expand into novel therapeutic approaches and businesses with the focus on West/East Coast opportunities, by exploring new, ground-breaking fields, beyond BI’s current R&D focus. This role will work closely and in direct support of the Head of Venture Fund to execute investments in private companies in targeted therapeutic areas. This individual will also will work in close collaboration with external partners as well as executives at Boehringer Ingelheim.
As an employee of Boehringer Ingelheim, you will actively contribute to the discovery, development and delivery of our products to our patients and customers. Our global presence provides opportunity for all employees to collaborate internationally, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies’ success. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Boehringer Ingelheim’s high regard for our employees
Duties & Responsibilities
- Work in close collaboration with Head of Venture Fund US and global Head of Venture Fund to develop investment strategies, target identification, source deals and build pipeline, develop investment thesis, present investments to investment committee (IC), and manage portfolio of investments.
- Set and refine the BIVF investment strategy by helping define the focus of investments, financing and exit strategy, and strategy to manage portfolio companies.
- Support, engage, and mentor portfolio companies’ founders to maximize each venture success. Represent BIVF US in the in the venture capital and entrepreneurial community.
- Identify and select of best investment candidates: Establish and maintain academic/ biotech/ VC network, by gaining visibility, trust and respect within those communities; Establish and manage an efficient evaluation and tracking process; Scout and screen an adequate number of investment opportunities, with main focus on game-changing potential; Select an adequate number of excellent investment opportunities for in-depth evaluation
- Proactively network to identify new opportunities as well as build network of trusted, top tier co-investors. Regularly provide updates to executives and key stakeholders on the overall health of the portfolio.
- In-depth evaluation and investment decision/ realization: Conduct high quality in-depth evaluations, with main focus on Scientific Concept, Management Team and Business terms, and adequate positioning within existing portfolio (Portfolio management); Lead negotiations with target companies and potential co-investors, incl. negotiation of terms sheet; Prepare all necessary documents for the Management Committee and the Investment Committee for an investment decision.
- Represent BIVF US as Director on the board of portfolio companies, guide and refine the strategy and development of those companies, with the aim of achieving successful returns on investments.
- Perform all Company business in accordance with all regulations (e.g. EEO, FDA, OSHA, PDMA, EPA, PhRMA, etc.) and Company policies and procedures. When violations are noted/observed they are to be immediately reported to management. Demonstrate high ethical and professional standards with all business contacts in order to main BIPI’s excellent reputation within the medical and pharmaceutical community.
- Create strategic options for the future of the BI Corporation
- Propose new strategic directions for the BI Corporation based on i) the acquisition of selected individual portfolio companies, and ii) increasing awareness within the corporation of new therapy concepts and businesses
- PhD in biology, biochemistry, pharmacy, or veterinary sciences from an accredited institution, OR MD and/or degree in business, finance or other relevant area from an accredited institution required
- Ten (10) years of cumulative work experience in Pharma R&D, Pharma Business Development or Finance desired
- Two to four (2-4) years demonstrated venture capital investing or business development experience desired
- Strong understanding or direct experience in corporate venture capital- required
- Background in or knowledge of technology trends in Pharma R&D required
- Experience with startup companies, venture capitalists, commercial partnerships, and incubators required
- Successful track record of sourcing sound investments with strategic and financial return desired
- Proven experience creating and maintaining entrepreneurial relationships in venture capital ecosystem
- Well-established network within West/East Coast VC community
- Strong data, analytics, technology experience and understanding
- Financial modeling and superior analytical skills
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to think creatively, work in a casual and dynamic global team environment
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results in a highly matrixed organization.
- History of successful performance.
- Proficiency in MSOffice, Outlook and database applications.
- Ability to travel (may include overnight travel).
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction.
Must be willing to take a drug test and post-offer physical (if required)
Must be 18 years of age or older
Who We Are
At Boehringer Ingelheim we create value through innovation with one clear goal: to improve the lives of patients. We develop breakthrough therapies and innovative healthcare solutions in areas of unmet medical need for both humans and animals. As a family owned company we focus on long term performance. We are powered by 50.000 employees globally who nurture a diverse, collaborative and inclusive culture. Learning and development for all employees is key because your growth is our growth.
Want to learn more?Visit boehringer-ingelheim.com and join us in our effort to make more health.
Boehringer Ingelheim, including Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim USA, Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health USA Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health Puerto Rico LLC and Boehringer Ingelheim Fremont, Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; citizenship status, marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition; physical or psychiatric disability; veteran or military status; domestic violence victim status; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
If interested, please apply here.