Roivant Sciences’ mission is to systematically reduce the time, cost, and risk of delivering new medicines to market by accelerating the development of promising drug candidates to improve the lives of patients and their families. The company is privately held, has in-licensed 25+ assets, and is very well-capitalized. The Investments team focuses on acquiring, developing, and commercializing clinical drug candidates that can benefit from Roivant’s clinical development expertise and/or offer innovative alternative development pathways that can be significantly value-accretive.
This position is a unique role among biotechnology companies and among biotechnology funds as it blends business development, capital allocation, and company strategy and operations. In this role, you will work directly with Roivant’s Chief Investment Officer on all aspects of asset evaluation, company creation (in the form of new “Vants,” Roivant’s subsidiary companies), Roivant- and Vant-level strategy, and ongoing capital allocation across Roivant’s portfolio. You will be responsible for bringing novel drug development ideas and drug acquisition targets to the team, building scientific and business conviction for both single asset and platform investments, working with each of Roivant’s senior Investments staff on their in-licensing ideas, and collaborating across the company on high-impact strategic initiatives. Because it involves the sourcing, assessment, and in-licensing of new assets, new company creation, and ongoing company and portfolio strategy, this position is essential to achieving Roivant’s growth targets and company mission.
- Understand the broad biotech/pharmaceutical market landscape and clinical development process for marketing approval
- Generate investment ideas based on detailed knowledge of specific therapeutic areas, indications, targets, and modalities
- Work with Roivant’s internal development staff to generate creative development strategies
- Conduct in-depth scientific, clinical and market research and financial modeling to support recommendations
- Construct persuasive investment theses in the form of PowerPoint presentations and supporting Excel models and present them to the Chief Investment Officer and other senior leadership
- Partner with senior members of the Investment group to work through all elements of transactions on new investments through closing, including due diligence, valuation, deal structuring, negotiations, and Roivant Investment Committee preparation
- Regularly evaluate progress of Vants on their pre-clinical and clinical execution and, especially at “inflection points” (e.g., after trial readout, during fundraising), help determine additional capital allocation to next inflection point
- Lead nascent special projects for the Investments team and across the company
- Serve as the Investments team node for cross-functional projects across Roivant, such as strategic partnerships, new business entry, capital raises, etc.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Familiarity with the major scientific and medical aspects of drug development
- Strong scientific and analytical skills and attention to detail
- Experience creating and delivering presentations that integrate multiple data sources
- Excellence with MS Office suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Experience using multiple pharmaceutical competitive intelligence databases
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work cross-functionally within the organization (R&D, finance, corporate development, recruiting, etc.) and with functional experts at Roivant’s subsidiary companies
Experience & Education Requirements:
- 3-5 years of buy-side healthcare investing experience, primarily focused on therapeutics (or the equivalent 5-7 years of skill-building in a related discipline (e.g., VC, sell-side research, pharma business development, healthcare-focused investment banking or management consulting))
- Bachelor’s degree required (preferably in science); advanced degree (e.g., PhD, MD, MBA, MSc) preferred
- Dynamic, interactive, fast-paced office environment
- Limited domestic or international travel required (post-COVID)
- Willingness to relocate to New York City (post-COVID) required
- Competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with buy-side roles, including initial equity grant
- Significant bonus compensation and equity grants are offered annually for top performers
If interested, please apply here.