ID Ventures (IDV) is seeking an experienced venture professional to join our investment team. In this newly created position, the Principal (or Senior Associate depending on experience level) will take a lead role in managing a growing portfolio of more than 100 investments across the state of Michigan.
We are looking for a dynamic candidate that will work closely with our portfolio company founders as they scale toward major growth milestones and reach material valuation inflection points. In addition to portfolio development, this talented individual will be involved in the investment process, assisting with diligence and formulating a framework to chart growth trajectories, model future financings and identify exit opportunities.
This role requires significant engagement with the portfolio but also a deep understanding of the broader community and ecosystem and the underlying funding/valuation dynamics.
Developing and nurturing strategic relationships with venture funds regionally and industry/vertical specific will be required.
This role has tremendous opportunity for growth. As the firm continues to add assets under management, we are looking for someone to be able to step into a leadership role as opportunities develop.
ABOUT ID VENTURES
IDV is part of Invest Detroit, an organization with a 20-year history financing economic development with more than $230 million in funds. Working in a collaborative environment with Invest Detroit’s full 35-member team, IDV is committed to investing in companies that make an impact on the Michigan economy.
With equitable capital access as a core value, our venture funds and programs deliver resources and create opportunities for women, minorities, and immigrants.
IDV manages for-profit and non-profit Seed-stage investment funds, deploying several million in capital per year across a wide variety of industries. Our work is based on the philosophy that while we cannot invest in every entrepreneur we meet; we can provide assistance to every one of them. Our six-person investment team is committed to supporting the entrepreneurial ecosystem with capital, on-going mentoring, and community engagement.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING:
- Identify and respond to portfolio company immediate milestones and goals by supporting customer acquisition, team growth, product development, go-to-market and sales initiatives, and implementation of competitive strategies.
- Identify key risks for investment opportunities and existing portfolio. Work with entrepreneurs and community to reduce critical funding, scaling or operational challenges.
- Work closely with portfolio founders whose companies are moving toward later-Seed and Series A rounds. Help founders position their startups for competitive rounds by guiding them in the process of presenting their story, key analyses such as cohorts and unit economics, market analyses, and their vision to become category leaders.
- Work with the IDV Investment team to help analyze potential deals and demonstrate value to prospective portfolio companies, which is a core component of the firm’s approach to winning competitive deals.
- Represent the team at events and in programs that help build the tech start-up ecosystem. Commit to and deliver IDV message of inclusive investing – supporting women, minority and immigrant founders.
- Actively promote growing portfolio companies to investor network. Continue to develop new syndicate/follow-on venture firm relationships.
- Manage portfolio company exits and write-offs. Engage with older portfolio companies to seek out potential exit opportunities.
- Manage tracking of existing portfolio and investment metrics. Assist with strategic firm initiatives and optimize internal processes.
- Mentor junior members of team to develop investment acumen and portfolio management capabilities.
- Develop thought leadership through talks, white papers, publishing content, etc.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- BA/BS, MBA or professional degree preferred
- 6-10 years post-degree experience
- Minimum of 2 years of venture capital investment experience.
- At least 2-4 years of startup, consulting, or investment banking experience with strong aptitude in financial modeling, cap table and exit analyses.
- Demonstrated interest and/or passion for technology
- Interest in quickly researching a variety of industries and interfacing with subject matter experts to assess investment opportunities
- Desire to work with young and/or inexperienced entrepreneurs to help nurture future investment opportunities
- Enjoy networking and developing relationships across the start-up ecosystem including other investors, accelerators, service professionals, universities, etc.
- Strong analytical capabilities and pattern recognition. Quickly learn key metrics and market drivers for diverse industries.
- Intelligent, hard-working, team-minded individual that can deliver on the details but enjoys strategic thinking and building towards the future.
Please forward your resume and cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position to email@example.com. Please include “Principal, Portfolio Success” in the subject line and indicate how you heard about this opportunity in the email.
Invest Detroit offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. Invest Detroit is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace.