About H/L Ventures. Hatzimemos / Libby (H/L Ventures) helps mission-driven founders build inspiring,valuablecompanies from inception to exit. We believe that high returns and high impact are directly linked, and our diverse group of founders share that ethos. Our powerful venture studio model is designed to support our companies with daily active engagement, expertise, networks, and capital throughout their entrepreneurial journey. Founded in 2009, we are based in New York City and have a track record of growing successful start-ups across many industries. We are committed to a culture of integrity, excellence, and hard work. www.h-l.vc
The Position. H/L Ventures seeks an enthusiastic, innovative, dedicated, and mature Principal to join our team. We are looking for a professional with significant prior leadership experience in venture capital, and a passion for entrepreneurship, social impact, and working with early stage companies. H/L Ventures is building a new model in VC, and our Principal will be a crucial part of our strategy and a core member of a compact, dynamic team, based in New York City. The Principal will lead our sourcing and due diligence process, head up new investment strategy, and act as a senior member of the team covering our portfolio companies. The Principal will be managing a team and will manage the firm’s Investment Committee process; the firm views this role as a Partner track opportunity. The Principal will be responsible for vital tasks, including the following:
Investment Process. The Principal’s main focus will be overseeing the new investments process at the firm, including sourcing pipelines (inbound and outbound), due diligence, structuring, and deal closure. This extends to the following key activities:
- Proactively seeking potential candidate companies and setting key investment theses with the team;
- Reviewing business plans, financial models, and other due diligence materials of potential candidate companies, including overseeing and, if necessary, performing financial modeling, deal structure analysis, and other elements of the new investments process;
- Overseeing all diligence conversations for entrepreneurs in the diligence process, ensuring that the sourcing team is effectively managing introductory calls and diligence workflows;
- Managing and participating in the production of internal investment memos and diligence reports;
- Running the biweekly Investment Committee meetings and presenting the Investment Committee on opportunities put forth by the team; and
- Leading the investment team, including a capable Associate, MBA Interns, Venture Fellows, and other key team members.
Portfolio Company Growth & Platform Activities. H/L Ventures maintains virtually daily contact with our portfolio companies, so it is expected that the Principal will be able to dynamically support various portfolio company needs, including in the following ways:
- Taking part in regular calls/meetings with existing portfolio companies;
- Assisting in value-add work for existing portfolio companies, sometimes taking the lead as a relationship manager with our portfolio company founders, as necessary; and
- Leveraging H/L’s powerful ecosystem of staff, Venture Partners, Advisors, and investors effectively for our portfolio companies.
Key Traits. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a number of important characteristics, including:
- Experience. Prior relevant experience at a Venture Capital firm is a requirement (see below). Team leadership experience is required and significant experience taking the leading role in bringing venture deals from sourcing to conclusion is required, as specified here:
¤ 8-10 years of experience with financial and operational due diligence, market research, valuation analysis, business plan modeling, and cap table scenario modeling preferred;
¤ Minimum of 4 years of experience in end-to-end deal management, including structuring and negotiation;
¤ Hands-on experience formulating investment memos and communicating conviction levels to Investment Committees; and
¤ Experienced in networking in the venture ecosystem, including bringing along a dealflow pipeline and co-investor relationships.
- Effective Leader. Ability to lead, manage, and inspire a fast-growing investment team and enable them to do their best work.This is a team leadership position and comes with people management requirements and the ability to select, support, grow, and sustain talent. The Principal will also have to interact effective with the Partners of the firm and other key senior executives, including the VP of Platform and the Chief Compliance Officer on a regular basis.
- Commitment. Passion for positive social impact and diversity; deep sense of integrity; and exceptional judgment.
- Professionalism. A high degree of professionalism and discretion, including situation-appropriate work and communication style.
- Hard-Work. A strong work ethic, including responsiveness and detail orientation. Stays until the job is done.
- Positivity. Helpful can-do attitude as a mature team player; strong ability to build and curate relationships and trust; and a do-any-job attitude.
- Proactiveness. Confident, with the ability to work flexibly and autonomously in an open-ended, self-directed work culture, especially given H/L’s compact core team and relatively unstructured office environment.
- Critical Thinking. Creative, intellectually curious, analytical, and truly engaged by difficult questions and new models in the VC space.
- Organization. Advanced organization and multitasking skills, allowing effective prioritization and meeting deadlines without fail.
- Communication. Possessing strong communications skills (written, verbal, and interpersonal), especially as the Principal will often be talking to entrepreneurs and other external and internal stakeholders on behalf of the firm.
- Technical Skills. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, financial models, cap tables, and basic VC tech stack; other technical and product-related skills beneficial.
- Academically Qualifications. Excellent academic performance; at least a Bachelor’s Degree, MBA preferred.
If interested, please apply here.