At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation. We achieve this through our commitment to continuous improvement and operational excellence, which gives us the opportunity to set and deliver on ambitious, long-term goals.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment with a strong emphasis on process safety, as well as the safety of our employees and the communities we operate in and are always working to form the best team— (especially from within), through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development. We are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2020. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens… BASF Venture Capital is the global Corporate Venture arm of BASF, founded in 2001. With a team based in the US, China, Europe, Brazil, India and Israel, we invest in disruptive and the most promising technologies and business models. Our mandate is to test and learn about new (digital) business models and to create partnership with bright minds and successful entrepreneurs. BASF Venture Capital is connecting promising young companies with the resources and experience of the world´s largest chemical company. Jointly, we seek to create a sustainable future for our customers, our industry, and our planet. As Investment Manager, you will source interesting investment opportunities in the Western part of the United States. You will analyze those investment opportunities with their respective competitive environment, and you will identify potential for value creation in partnering with BASF. Jointly with other investment managers at BASF Venture Capital, you will execute transactions and subsequently be responsible for the management of our portfolio company. You will create strategic learnings and insights for BASF, while providing support and resources to help our portfolio companies building a successful business.
Qualifications – BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Formula for Success…
- Capitalizing on your experience with a (preferably international) corporation (B2B industry), international accounting or consulting firm, a technology consulting firm or in (Corporate) venture capital / growth capital, you will generate a deal-flow of relevant companies that are active in the space of sustainability, new and platform-based business models, and that have a potential link to the chemical industry; this deal flow will be the result of doing research, connecting with other venture capital firms in North America, participating in relevant conferences and by building relationships with universities, incubators, start-up associations and start-ups
- Leveraging your strong analytical skills and your highly valued experience in identifying the most promising investment targets coupled with your contract negotiations and leadership of due diligence programs, you will analyze investment opportunities and conduct due diligence, develop term sheets and execute deals
- Building on your openness and professionalism, you will earn the respect of co-investors and the start-up community and you will help BASF and our business partners to jointly create value as you coach and support the portfolio company as a board member
- Your passionate promotion of new technologies / business models coupled with your strong understanding of IT applications and excellent communication skills in English and preferably one other language will contribute positively to your close cooperation with the business units and the functional units of BASF, as you monitor the strategic development of the portfolio companies and prepare decisions regarding further funding or exit-opportunities
- Your curiosity to learn, motivation to seek for challenges and opportunities, and to build a network in the venture capital community and within BASF, will be demonstrated as you present and report to the BASF Venture Capital team and the BASF organization about important trends and learnings in the area of sustainability, new business models and digitalization
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You… Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry. The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career. BASF provides interesting and challenging learning and development opportunities to help you make the most of your talents and your job.
If interested, please apply here.