Are you looking to join a dynamic pension plan that embodies the strong values of its 500,000 members and is an industry leading global investor? If so, we would love to tell you our story.
At OMERS we put our people first and are proud to embrace the diversity of thought and leadership that comes from having locations in Toronto, London, New York, Singapore, Sydney and other major cities across North America and Europe. Our culture is truly one of a kind. We get stuff done, and have fun doing it! We take great pride in contributing to the communities where we live with an ever-constant eye to the global investment markets.
OMERS Ventures is the venture capital arm of OMERS, one of Canada’s largest pension funds with more than C$100 billion in assets under management. OMERS Ventures was founded in 2011 in Toronto and now has over $1 billion in assets under management. The fund has investments throughout Europe and North America and has helped attract an additional $1.4 billion in funding to its portfolio companies, which include Shopify, Hootsuite, Crunchbase and Deliverect.
We opened our offices in the Bay Area in January 2019 to invest in 4 key technology verticals Workplace SaaS, Digital Health, Insuretech, and Proptech. This was followed by a $750m commitment by OMERS and others to the global Ventures platform to continue investing in the US technology landscape. More background here on our Bay Area team and at http://www.omersventures.com.
You will play a critical role in the investment team, specifically focusing on the Workplace SaaS category initially. We’re looking for someone passionate about technology and entrepreneurship to help us find and assess potential investments, complete new investments, and help portfolio companies. In this role, you will work with some of the US’s brightest and boldest entrepreneurs at the early stages of their businesses. As part of a new exciting start-up in the venture space, you will be working directly alongside experienced Venture Capital partners across our Canadian and UK team as well as helping us to grow our venture brand in the US.
As a member of this team, you will be responsible for
- Evaluating inbound business plans & hosting first meetings with entrepreneurs, championing great opportunities to the team
- Researching deep-dives into emerging technology spaces, specifically Workplace SaaS
- Attending industry events and building network among founders and investors
- Conducting market & competitive analysis, customer references, light financial modelling
- Helping with Deal Completion, including due diligence, documentation, references and coordinating with our legal counsel
- Supporting portfolio companies on specific projects, further fundraises, or OMERS connections
- Maintaining close relations with the OMERS Ventures team in Canada and the UK and the broader OMERS teams
- Ongoing analysis and monitoring of portfolio to support internal valuation and portfolio management
- Helping build OMERS Ventures’ reputation in the US market and taking responsibility for driving an area of our business
To succeed in this role, you have
- A minimum of three years of experience in areas such as high growth technology start-up, investment roles within VC/PE, Investment Banking, or Business Development, Strategy or functional role (sales, product, etc) at a leading internet/software company
- Coding skills or familiarity preferred but not required
- Ability to build a network in the US start-up community and a desire to cultivate new relationships
- A passion for technology demonstrated by in-depth knowledge of current and emerging innovations and the ability to spot trends
- Clear and concise communication skills Insightful, good listener, with strong emotional intelligence and gravitas
- The ability to multitask and manage a steady stream of priorities
- Strong research, analytical and financial modelling skills
Founded in 1962, OMERS is one of Canada’s largest defined benefit pension plans, with $105 billion in net assets as at December 31, 2020. OMERS is a jointly-sponsored pension plan, with 1,000 participating employers ranging from large cities to local agencies, and over half a million active, deferred and retired members. OMERS members include union and non-union employees of municipalities, school boards, local boards, transit systems, electrical utilities, emergency services and children’s aid societies across Ontario. Contributions to the Plan are funded equally by members and employers. OMERS teams work in Toronto, London, New York, Amsterdam, Luxembourg, Singapore, Sydney and other major cities across North America and Europe – serving members and employers and originating and managing a diversified portfolio of high-quality investments in public markets, private equity, infrastructure and real estate.
OMERS is committed to having a workforce that reflects the communities in which we live and work. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to a barrier-free recruitment and selection process. At OMERS inclusion and diversity means belonging. How we create a sense of belonging is through our employees and our vast network of Employee Resource Groups. Whether you are passionate about gender, pride, or visible minorities, we have groups that are focused on making a difference in all of our lives.
If interested, please apply here.