This will be an exempt position supporting situational awareness development under the In-Q-Tel International (“IQTI”) contract. IQTI’s overseas activities to date have validated the presence of meaningful venture-backed technology startups and academic research and development in areas of interest to IQTI’s customers. The program expects to continue to identify promising deep-tech startups in which to invest, and to deliver through those investments business insights otherwise unavailable to our customers. IQTI does not implement solution transfer activities under its contract but will make such opportunities available for the customers to action as/when appropriate.
- Officers are responsible for developing IQTI’s portfolio in partnership with the rest of the IQTI team. Specifically, Officers are expected to identify and target technologies and companies of interest to IQTI’s trilateral customers. Having done so, they will:
- Initiate an engagement strategy with the company
- Lead business and technical due diligence
- Identify areas of business insight and customer impact
- Negotiate equity investment transactions
- Coordinate IQT and customer approvals
- Provide ongoing support to portfolio companies
- Document the deal process consistent with the IQTI contract Deliverables; and,
- Communicate effectively with IQTI program management and other IQTI officers.
- Officers are also expected to maintain and develop relationships with key constituencies including VCs, universities, accelerators and the customers themselves through direct engagement and third-party activities such as conferences and speaking opportunities.
- Officers will be expected to support certain legal and regulatory requirements specific to their geography and business activities, including but not limited to local board representation, review of financial reports, and participation in regulatory filings.
- Degree in business or relevant technical field preferred.
- 5-7 years of experience with broad technical exposure and an understanding of government engagement.
- Conversant in a variety of business disciplines such as sales, marketing, business development or finance.
- Experience with startup companies and a working knowledge of the way venture capital equity investments are structured.
- Prior professional experience in one of IQTI’s technology focus areas is a benefit.
More generally a good candidate:
- Thinks strategically
- Builds relationships and works well within diverse teams
- Acts in a self-directed manner
- Evidence of calm and sound judgement in new or ambiguous situations
- Communicates complex issues in straightforward terms
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial environment with limited on-site support
- Sustains curiosity about a broad range of technologies
- Writes well while staying open to edits/criticism
- Remains committed to our national security mission
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If interested, please apply here.