The Engine is looking for a motivated, collaborative, entrepreneurial and analytical individual to join our team for the summer of 2022 as a Summer Associate. The ideal candidate is in the middle of a graduate program (MBA, MS, PhD), with experience working at the intersection of technology and business with deep empathy for the journey of Tough Tech founders. The ideal candidate is a self-starter that is comfortable in a fluid work environment and able to communicate information clearly and concisely.
Roles and Responsibilities
Summer Associates will take on three projects related to all aspects of the work of The Engine: investment due diligence, landscaping Tough Tech areas for investment, and expanding the capabilities of our platform to serve Tough Tech founders. Summer Associates should be prepared to present research and findings to the broader Engine team and effectively engage with internal and external stakeholders.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Produce one or more detailed research and investment landscapes on a tough tech area of interest to The Engine team.
- Conduct detailed diligence on potential investment opportunities and communicate findings clearly and concisely to the investment team.
- Deliver high-value founder, network, and strategic programming, supporting our Portfolio founders in building world-changing companies. This could include workshops, briefings, and our annual Tough Tech Summit.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Strong alignment with The Engine’s mission to enable Tough Tech entrepreneurs to create world-changing companies.
- Empathy for the entrepreneurial journey and ability to build trust and drive results with entrepreneurs and Engine teammates.
- Dedicated team player committed to collaboration.
- Superior communication, listening and critical thinking skills.
- Comfortable with diverse engineering and scientific disciplines.
- Outstanding mental agility, adaptability, creativity and problem-solving skills.
- Strong analytical skills, both qualitative and quantitative.
- 3+ years of relevant work experience with a demonstration of entrepreneurial activity in industry, research, or a combination of both. Direct experience in a Tough Tech company is a plus.
- Undergraduate degree in a scientific/technical/business field.
The Engine is a Cambridge, MA-based venture capital firm. It was conceived and created by MIT in 2016 to address the unmet need for sustained support for startups with the potential to solve complex, existential challenges and make a material, positive impact on society. The
Engine provides access to long-term capital, knowledge, connections, as well as the infrastructure these Tough Tech companies need to thrive. For more information, visit http://www.engine.xyz.
If interested, please apply here.