The Johnson & Johnson Innovation – JJDC, Inc., the venture arm of Johnson & Johnson (J&J) and a part of Johnson & Johnson’s Family of Companies, is currently recruiting for an Intern, Venture Investments, to be located in South San Francisco, CA.
J&J is the world’s most comprehensive and broadly-based manufacturer of health care products and is a provider of related services, for the consumer health, medical devices and pharmaceutical markets. The more than 265 operating companies employ over 125,000 people worldwide.
Johnson & Johnson Innovation (JJI) has opened four Innovation Centers (ICs) in Asia-Pacific, Boston, California, and London about 8 years ago. JJDC, the venture arm of J&J since 1973, with investors in these locations, brings a global presence of twelve investors with ten to thirty years of domain experience in financial, operational and strategic matters. The ICs constitute a platform from which J&J identifies and engages with the most promising healthcare innovations at universities and companies across the globe. The mission of JJDC is to source equity investments and utilize relationships within the healthcare innovation community to support innovation, accelerate start-ups and to build a pipeline of innovative products that will benefit patients and create options in areas of strategic interest to J&J.
JJDC investments balance strategic returns with financial risk and return considerations. Investment vehicles JJDC has employed include seed investments, equity investments in private companies, and PIPEs. In 2020, JJDC made over 40 new and follow-on investments and deployed over $500 million in capital.
Given the growth in its investment portfolio, JJDC is seeking a talented Intern, Venture Investments who will assist on new investment diligence and portfolio analysis. The successful candidate will work closely with the JJDC investment team with principal focus on biotechnology investing under the guidance and mentorship of a JJDC Vice President
This Intern will be working with other JJDC investors and the broader JJDC investment team and will achieve business objectives through collaboration, coordination, and teamwork. This investment professional will demonstrate their leadership skills by participating in and presenting to JJDC’s investment committee and working on all aspects of venture transactions.
Specific areas in which the successful candidate will lead activities are:
- Diligencing potential opportunities to determine if they are capable of delivering upon the program and financial objectives, and in complex situations, this may require identifying and utilizing expert consultants to help evaluate the scientific, technical, manufacturing, clinical and regulatory capabilities.
- Managing a multi-stage investment review and approval process and preparing supporting documentation and materials. Key responsibilities include drafting term sheets, writing investment memorandums, and presenting and defending investment proposals before internal governance committees.
- In particular, s/he will be accountable within the investment team for validating financial and business plans and how that relates to the price and financing of the transaction.
- Bachelor’s degree required. An advanced degree (JD or PhD) is preferred.
- Candidates must be enrolled in an accredited MBA program with a graduation planned for May 2022.
- A minimum of 2+ years of Venture Capital/Private Equity, investment banking, private equity experience is required.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States without the need for sponsorship now or in the future.
- Prior experience as an investor from a venture capital, private equity, or corporate venture fund is desired. Additional experience could include a demonstrated track record in business development and conducting corporate transactions and/or debt and equity structuring activities such as M&A, licensing agreements, joint ventures, etc.
- The candidate will be well versed and have proven experience in the fundamentals of conducting extensive diligence of healthcare companies. This candidate should be well networked with prior exposure to the healthcare innovation ecosystem.
- In addition to the requisite investment domain experience, the candidate must have a history of success throughout his/her life including academics, business, and other pursuits. Moreover, it is essential that the candidate has demonstrated the ability to initiate and cultivate meaningful relationships within the academic, entrepreneurial and investment communities. To do so, s/he must bring the requisite credibility, interpersonal and negotiating skills, and the strategic insight to formulate and support the highest quality investment recommendations.
If interested, please apply here.