This position is responsible for managing a portfolio of direct and fund-of-funds investments in diverse pre-seed, seed and early-stage companies under the oversight of JLS Investment Committee. This position works closely with Chief Technology Officer in selecting both financially sound and strategic investments aligned with the strategies of JLS group companies.
ESSENTIAL INVESTMENT ACTIVITIES
- Network with peers at other venture capital firms and other industry partners
- Be a thought leader, maintaining up-to-date knowledge on industry and technology trends, as well as attending and speaking at events/conference
- Lead development and execution of portfolio management strategies and programs
- Represent the fund as a board member or board observer, as appropriate
- Actively support the execution of tasks, projects, and priorities supporting portfolio company success
- Endeavor to build long-term relationships and understand group companies’ strategies and priorities
- Present to Investment Committee
- Support fund strategy development and operations
- Assist Investment Committee with the definition of fund-level priorities and strategies, as well as operational processes and procedures
- Invest in the future of JLS Investment Group, helping to drive the continued improvement of systems, process and infrastructure as the firm grows
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Demonstrated problem-solving, quantitative, and qualitative analysis skills, including deep familiarity with tech startup and scale-up development cycles
- Understanding of operational and financial drivers that impact high-growth ventures
- Intellectual curiosity mindset, above and beyond their defined role, and enthusiasm for high-growth ventures
- Strong communication (written, verbal, listening, and presentation skills)
- Highly collaborative work-style, pragmatic, and resourceful problem-solver
- Capability and desire to build relationships and network within the venture industry
- Responds well to change and has a high tolerance for ambiguity
- Approaches work with an unparalleled level of personal ownership, responsibility, integrity, and ethics
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the following education and/or experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, economics, finance, business or in a science or engineering discipline. MBA preferred
- 10+ years’ work experience with significant exposure to the life science industry – consulting or banking background strongly preferred; experience in an operating role required; VC or PE investing experience with deal execution is a plus;
- Past experience successfully working in cross-functional teams
If interested, please apply here.