Role: Fifty Years Fellow
Location: San Francisco, CA (not remote)
Type: Full-Time, Paid
Program length: Summer 2021 (10+ consecutive weeks between May 17 and September 17)
Priority Summer Fellow Deadline: Monday, April 12th at 11:59pm PT
The climate is heading off a cliff. Thousands die every day of malnutrition. Pandemics put the world at risk. Technology entrepreneurship can solve these problems and many more!
Fifty Years is a different kind of venture capital firm. At Fifty Years we believe technology entrepreneurship can and should solve the world’s biggest problems. We believe massive wealth creation and positive impact can go hand in hand. We support early-stage founders creating massively profitable businesses that can also solve the world’s biggest problems. We pride ourselves on always going the extra mile for our portfolio founders and have built the Fifty Years team around helping our founders create and scale the most important companies
of the coming decades.
We see huge opportunities in supporting startups based in North America who are working at the forefront of synthetic biology, energy, food, health care, space, construction, genomics, and many other industries. Fifty Years aims to partner with founders in these fields to develop bold new solutions that will move humanity to the next level.
You’ll be joining our tight-knit team in San Francisco, working closely with everyone on the team and touching every aspect of a venture capital firm in action.
Who are you?
You are an undergrad, recent grad or PhD candidate.
The ideal candidate is genuinely passionate about finding a way to make a deep impact on the world through science and technology and is comfortable working independently in a fast-paced environment. We want someone that can help us fill in gaps in our own knowledge and is excited to leverage the Fifty Years platform to not only have an exciting fall full of personal growth, but also to make the Fifty Years team stronger as a whole.
We are looking for someone who will…
- Assist the team throughout the entire Innovation Flow
- Find top entrepreneurs, scientists, and experts
- Become the primary touchpoint between Fifty Years and startup founders to better understand their business
- Immerse yourself in the broader startup community through events, conferences, accelerators, and universities to find the most interesting emerging startups.
- Give us feedback on how we can improve how we partner with entrepreneurs
- Research a deep tech sector or theme of interest
- Deep dive into a technology sector (water desalination, energy storage, CRISPR, etc) or other scoped field of interest (medical diagnostics, next-generation energy, food, etc) to help us become a better-informed partner to startups working in those areas
- Create comprehensive technology and market landscapes that will be in turn used to discover new teams we can support
- Identify key academics, entrepreneurs, companies, and institutions in this space
- Attend key conferences, demo days, or events to ensure we linked into the larger ecosystem
- Organize events and create thought leadership content
- Help organize and events for top entrepreneurs, scientists, and investors such as our Impact.Tech series.
- Support our Translation Podcast that showcases the latest cutting edge research coming out of the labs.
- Identify new opportunities for Fifty Years to build thought leadership across various channels such as Twitter, Substack, and beyond.
- Intellectually curious
- Engaged, detail-oriented.
- Has committed to an idea or initiative from start to finish.
- Break-through-walls attitude
- Feels comfortable getting down and dirty with any task.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- High IQ and EQ.
- High integrity
- Values-aligned, honest, authentic.
- Not intimidated by ambiguity
- Takes initiative and is comfortable without direct instruction.
As a firm and family, 50Y deeply believes in human potential. We are committed to actively fostering inclusion in our workplace and striving for greater diversity and equality in the VC, start-up, and founder worlds. We welcome any candidates who fit the criteria to apply for this position.
If interested, please apply here.