Illumen Capital is an impact fund of funds addressing systemic inequity by reducing racial and gender bias in investing. We invest in high-performing funds, and work with those managers to install evidence-based strategies and tools designed to reduce racial and gender bias. This work is aimed at helping fund managers better identify, evaluate and invest in overlooked and underestimated entrepreneurs, ultimately driving outperformance and unlocking returns. We believe an inclusive and optimal asset management industry will be the cornerstone of an equal and equitable future.
A Black-owned and led firm, Illumen Capital has been investing since 2018, and closed its first fund in 2020 at $88 million. We invest into the top impact funds across venture capital, growth equity, and private equity, with a focus on health & wellness, education, climate & sustainability and financial inclusion. In 2019, we published peer-reviewed research in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences that validated our thesis: race influences the decision making of professional investors. Illumen partners with Stanford SPARQ to design and apply evidenced-based bias reduction curriculum, training and tools to portfolio fund managers, and with Impact Experience to deliver experiential learning opportunities for fund managers and investors to help connect the dots between slavery, historical racism, and present-day implicit bias found in the asset management industry.
The Director of Investments will be responsible for identifying, evaluating, and recommending high-quality private impact investment funds. In doing so, you will work closely with fund managers and key stakeholders, as well as contribute to Illumen Capital’s thought leadership in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We will rely on your due diligence expertise to ensure Illumen Capital executes its mission at the highest level, with the opportunity to work closely with our Managing Director, Daryn Dodson, and become a valuable member of our collaborative, humble, hard-working team.
● Oversee all aspects of Illumen Capital’s fund investment process, including sourcing and pipeline development, screening potential managers, financial analysis and due diligence, financial modeling, deal structuring, negotiation and documentation, and ongoing monitoring
● Formulate and present investment memoranda to Investment Committee
● Lead the market analysis of specific asset classes and impact sectors
● Monitor financial/operational conditions and industry dynamics of portfolio funds and underlying companies, and present quarterly reviews to the management team
● Manage the post-investment transition to engagement with Illumen Capital’s bias-reduction programming
● Support the quarterly and annual LP reporting processes
● Maintain current market knowledge on themes and trends within venture and private equity, as well as across the areas of education technology, health & wellness, financial inclusion and climate & sustainability
● Engage and expand Illumen Capital’s relationships among fund managers, relevant networks and conferences, prospective limited partners, subject matter experts, and peer investors
● Participate in the due diligence process of prospective investors in Illumen Capital as needed
You are a mission-driven, action-oriented, data-driven, and highly collaborative team player. You’re looking for a role where you can use those traits to help build a more inclusive and optimal asset management industry.
● Experience. You have 6 – 8 years of work experience in private equity, venture capital, or comparable experience, preferably in the role of fund selection. In this capacity you may have experience on an investment team at a foundation, university endowment, family office, corporate venture fund or financial institution.
● Education. You have obtained a bachelor’s degree. You likely also have an MBA, advanced degree, or CFA equivalent.
● Quantitative & Analytical. You have demonstrated experience in quantitative analysis within finance and related fields. Your work experience demonstrates exceptional analytical abilities.
● Shared Values. You are excited to be an ambassador for our firm and proponent of our values. Our team seeks people with diverse ways of thinking and personal backgrounds. You are able to work independently yet value collaboration and input from your team.
● Action-Oriented. You are excited to take ownership of doing whatever it takes to build a world class impact investing firm. You are self-motivated and comfortable taking on new tasks or projects with little direction and adjusting course quickly under tight deadlines.
● Mission-Driven. You are passionate about making a positive impact in the world, especially as it relates to racial justice and gender equity.
● Adaptive Communicator. You can express complex ideas with clarity and conciseness.
● Willingness to Travel. Travel is approximately 25% of the time and primarily domestic.
The Director of Investments will be based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 7, 2021. We look forward to reviewing your application!