This is a full-time, exempt position.
ADM Ventures will assess, develop and manage new product/technology platforms to expand our portfolio and drive significant sales and profit growth for ADM. Successful new products/technologies may be integrated into existing ADM Business Units or potentially provide the base for a new business unit. This position’s primary focus will be on innovative technologies that are being developed outside of ADM with a focus on Agricultural technology (AgTech) and various tools and technologies that can help improve and drive ADM’s operational efficiencies and business.
Overall, this position is responsible for end-to-end deal sourcing, landscape and business case development, deal negotiation and execution of deals, as well as post-close oversight of on-going relationships. This can include direct investments, indirect investments and partnerships that deliver both strategic and financial value.
The Investment Director will directly report to the Managing Director for ADM Ventures, and will work collaboratively with other ADM Ventures team members and the broader ADM network.
- Key member of the ADM Ventures team. Provides thought leadership to create and drive ADM Venture’s strategy. Leverages corporate venture capital (CVC) best practices for effective performance of the external arm of ADM Ventures. Works with VP, ADM Ventures and the Ventures team to develop group functions, capabilities and processes, and develop team talent.
- Leverages an existing deep external network to generate deal flow.
- Partners with and creates effective relationships with our business units (BUs) and R&D teams. Understands and influences BU strategies to focus external search. Build support and gain buy in for ADM Ventures projects. Provides periodic reviews.
- Completes market landscapes to proactively educate ADM on high potential areas and make recommendations.
- Scouts for companies developing relevant technologies in scope for ADM Ventures – builds a pipeline of relevant opportunities. Works with the other team members to Review deal flow for relevant opportunities; captures deal flow in our tracking software.
- Works with internal partners to assess and create business cases including recommendations for business model execution and investment opportunity. Presents investment recommendations to VP ADM Ventures and ADM Ventures Steering Board – May present investment recommendations to ADM’s capital committee
- Collaborate with relevant ADM functional leads on due diligence for possible investments
- Works with appropriate ADM teams to negotiate deal terms and communicate with entrepreneurs, management teams, syndicate partners and other stakeholders, including attorneys, advisors, consultants and board members.
- Oversees on-going relationships with portfolio companies to enhance value to both ADM and the portfolio company. This may include taking possible board seats or observer roles positions to develop technologies, companies and management teams that help us to strategically grow and transform our business.
- Provides effective updates and reviews on deal flow status and the portfolio to manager, Steering Board and other ADM groups. A variety of communication vehicles may be used such as Powerpoint presentations, written reports, etc.
- May participate in the advisory boards of the Venture Capital funds ADM is a LP in; may also ensure ADM is reviewing all relevant deal flow opportunities that come from the VC funds
- Provides periodic emerging trend observations to the business and for the ADM Board
- Recommends additional pathways for innovation such as use of accelerators, university entrepreneurship programs, research organizations, pitch programs, etc. Recommends conferences for ADM to sponsor and attend.
- Participates in and may speak at industry events such as conferences, tradeshows or other related events. May lead/support internal Venture’s events such as hosting our own pitch events, etc.
- Other duties, as needed
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- Minimum 10 years of experience in the agricultural industry; understands how ADM’s value chain works from farmer to customer. Trading experience or other commercial/business development experience in agriculture.
- Use of digital solutions
- Experience in a Corporate Venture program or VC organization, or working with emerging technologies companies in corporate or business development/M&A roles desired
- Professional demeanor with exceptional communication (written, verbal and presentation skills) and interpersonal skills
- Has led and managed teams to launch new technologies
- Experience in large corporate environments, desired
- Self-motivated with ability to influence cross functional teams and to collaborate across many different disciplines
- Networker with ability to see possible opportunities for ADM; able to juggle multiple opportunities
- Naturally curious about possibilities
- Entrepreneurial with ability to work in a matrix environment
- Demonstrated ability with MS Office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Bachelors or Master Degree in relevant field
- MBA strongly preferred
Every position in ADM requires commitment to integrity, safety, diversity, quality and the following for this position:
- Strategic vision and passion for creating the future
- Intellectual curiosity about business, technology and business models
- Superior networking and relationship building skills
- Excellent influencing, decision making, communication and presentation skills
- Adaptable and able to solve problems in uncertain situations
- Strong business, financial and investment acumen
- Comfortable working in matrix and entrepreneurial environments
- Ability to travel; could be up to 30% – 40% of the time
IF interested, please apply here.