The Mission of the AVG Venture Fellow Program is to provide world-class professional development and hands-on learning opportunities in the venture capital industry, thereby serving as an onramp to careers in VC and entrepreneurship for hundreds of early- and mid-career professionals each year.
Through education, networking, and practical application, the program improves access to jobs in these hard-to-enter career fields with a particular focus on increasing opportunities for women and minority groups, who are underrepresented in the venture industry.
Before applying to the program, please listen to this episode of the Founders and Funders podcast to learn more about the AVG Venture Fellow Program.
Fellows are the face of our funds. Fellows can expect to network and engage with successful alumni—Partners, CEOs, etc.—of industries relevant to VC. Specifically, fellows will:
- Introduce alumni to our funds and community
- Answer questions about our model & investment strategy
- Facilitate introductions between investors, entrepreneurs, and our deal team.
Fellows work directly with the deal teams on live investment opportunities. Dig into the skills of Venture investing.
- Research exciting new companies and technology
- Engage entrepreneurs via email, LinkedIn, phone and in-person
- Aid with the diligence and discussion of investment opportunities
We strive to offer a number of tangible and intangible benefits and learning experiences for each fellow.
Learn Venture Capital
- Build your knowledge base with the Venture Fellow Academy
- Practice the skills on live deals
- Access to our team of veteran entrepreneurs/investors
Put VC on your resume/LNKD
- Rare opportunities in this field
- Get a leg up in your career development, foot in the door for industry
Transition Your Career to Venture Capital
- High value references to support your career next steps
- Custom career resources to help facilitate your transition
Amplified Professional development
- Real work experience and skill building
- Meaningful, impactful stories to tell in your next job interview
Access to Diligence Materials & Data Room
- Unprecedented peak behind the curtain into VC evaluations, decision making, Investment Committee and company call audio, etc.
- Monthly group fellow diligence reviews led by the deal teams
Our Rolodex is Your Rolodex.
- National peer network of rising stars of entrepreneurship
- Build your own alumni network while helping the fund
- Know who we know
We expect you to put in 5 hours per week engaging with alumni and our programming. We expect fellows to brand their LinkedIn profiles with information about their role at their fund, which we provide.
Participation in Community Engagement includes the expectation that Fellows seek out opportunities for marketing and promotion of the fund in appropriate settings.
There is no cost to apply or participate in this educational program.
Who Should Apply
The Venture Fellow Program is geared toward college graduates, age 25-40 who are currently working full- or part-time. That being said, we encourage individuals from all backgrounds to apply. We accept applications from any interested candidate, and have accepted candidates outside of the normal age and experience range into the program.
A core tenet of the Venture Fellow Program is to promote diversity in Venture Capital. We encourage alumni from all genders, ethnicities, and socio-economic backgrounds to apply.
The application will take roughly 5-10 hours to complete. A valid submission requires three attachments. Any submissions without all three submissions will not be graded:
2. Intro letter (Directions in Question 10; Please do not submit a cover letter)
3. Industry map
The application does not have a save function, so, to ensure you do not lose your work, prepare these three attachments before completing the fill-in questions.
March 15, 2019 – Q2 Waitlist / Q3 Early Access Deadline
April 15, 2019 – Second Deadline
May 15, 2019 – Third Deadline
May 24, 2019 – Final Deadline (Applicants for this deadline may be pushed to Q4)
July 1, 2019 – Formal Start Date
*Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. Interviews will begin after the third application deadline. Applicants for the second and third deadline will still have all materials considered.
If interested, please apply here.