Versant Ventures, a leading healthcare investment firm with more than $2 billion in assets under management, is recruiting for a Principal to join our biotech team in our Basel Switzerland office. The Principal will report to the Leader of the Firm and will support the team’s senior members. This person will play an integral supporting role in generating new investment opportunities, conducting due diligence and working with existing portfolio companies to shape and advance their programs.
The successful candidate will have a strong scientific and/or clinical background and be able to understand business principles and market dynamics across various therapeutic areas in the biopharma sector. Specific activities will include preparing investment memos, financial modeling, working with consultants to perform scientific and business due diligence, preparing presentations and working with attorneys to draft investment documents. The position provides an exceptional opportunity for individuals to build their experience in healthcare venture capital investing and company building.
- Participate in and support the investment process from opportunity identification through due diligence and deal closing.
- Help identify investment opportunities for the Versant biotech team worldwide, with an emphasis on Europe and the East Coast of the US.
- Conduct due diligence calls with physicians and other consultants.
- Conduct Company screens in various therapeutic areas.
- Gather information using various data sources, including the internet, scientific literature, and consultants to the firm.
- Assist in board-level management of portfolio companies; attend board meetings as an observer and work on projects to build portfolio company value.
- Support Entrepreneurs in Residence (EIRs) in their efforts to incubate new Versant portfolio companies.
- Support business development activities related to Versant’s discovery engines.
- Prepare and maintain internal documentation on potential investments/portfolio companies, including investment memos and financial analyses.
- Create, update and maintain proprietary firm databases, including M&A and IPO statistics for the healthcare company universe.
- Assist in the preparation of investor presentations and support other investor relations activities, such as drafting press releases
- Perform other tasks as necessary to support the team.
Qualifications and Experience
- MD or PhD required
- Relevant work experience in an operating role with a biotechnology or pharmaceutical company or in management consulting, investment banking/investing/finance, , minimum of 5 years work experience.
- Prior biotech VC, corporate venture experience or BD experience
- Exceptional intelligence and intellectual curiosity.
- Impeccable integrity, work ethic and commitment.
- Self-starter attitude.
- Strong financial modeling skills.
- Strong writing skills.
- Significant experience with PowerPoint.
- Motivated to learn the investing business.
- Solid business judgment.
- Ability to build a network in the life sciences community.
- Organized, detail-oriented personality with the ability to multi-task in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills who enjoys working in a collaborative firm culture.
Compensation will be competitive for the industry.
If interested, please apply below.
Send cover letter and resumes to Christine Mathews in Human Resources at email@example.com