Teacher’s Innovation Platform (TIP) is a new investment department within OTPP that is focused on late stage venture and growth equity investments in opportunities that use technology to disrupt incumbents and create new sectors. TIP is accountable for achieving risk-adjusted returns appropriate to earlier stage exposures; assisting in mitigating disruptions-related risk from a total Fund perspective; and ensuring that OTPP can confidently access new frontiers of technology and disruption. TIP’s path to market will initially be focused on direct investments, bespoke partnerships with globally-relevant, Tier-1 corporates and other highly networked entities operating in the venture community.
As a “start-up” within OTPP with a globally dispersed team, our team members will need to embody a level of relationship engagement, creativity and cross-asset class partnerships. Moreover, in keeping with the OneTeachers’ and the Global Mindset initiatives, TIP will serve as a proving ground for our new strategic ethos – building flexible and globally-present capabilities that allow us to differentiate our capital, while drawing on our specific advantages and history of innovation
As a Principal within Teachers’ Innovation Platform, you will contribute to implementing TIP’s strategy and will collaborate with the team to meet the overall goals of this new department at Teachers’.
The anticipated location for this role will be based out of the Toronto office, and as part of our Global Mindset strategy there will be an expectation of collaboration and travel between our offices. Mobility options will be discussed as part of the selection process with qualified candidates.
Who you’ll work with
You will work with the senior leaders of TIP to develop and, over time, refine OTPP’s go to market strategy for this unique part of the equity investment spectrum. You will also execute deals and post investment asset management activities.
You will work cooperatively across the organization and specifically in partnership across the Equities department and other fund investment teams (Total Fund Management, Strategy & Risk) to help drive improved sector and investment stage specialization and regional coordination. Partnering with OTPP regional and asset class colleagues and external relationship management capabilities will be vital to success.
What you’ll do
- Evaluate new and follow-on fund investment opportunities by performing fund manager and industry research, portfolio level analysis, and detailed due diligence
- Execute on new fund commitments, including preparing investment recommendations and transaction structuring and legal documentation
- Work closely with Teachers’ Innovation Platform direct investment teams to maximize fund partnership opportunities
- Develop and maintain fund sector coverage maps
- Develop and maintain relationships with VCs, limited partners, and various industry organizations
- Represent Teachers’ Innovation Platform at annual meetings and industry conferences
- Responsible for all aspects of the valuation process, ongoing monitoring and administration of fund investments
- Analyze fund holdings for potential investment/co-investment opportunities and key industry trends
- Support direct investment opportunities as needed including, but not limited to, involvement in due diligence, preparation of investment committee materials
- Present investment recommendations to the relevant internal committees, as required
- Contribute to other OTPP initiatives defined as critical by senior leaders within TIP including initiatives designed to share the insights of TIP with the broader Investment organization
- Partner and communicate with the global team across all offices ensuring appropriate parties are kept informed and engaged on transactions or initiatives
- Develop a strong and intuitive grasp of the strategic objectives that TIP uses to anchor its investment decision-making
- Work cross-functionally and collaboratively with other teams to ensure continued alignment with OTPP’s mission, vision and values. This includes supporting and sharing knowledge with other areas of Investments and responding to ad hoc requests from other departments
What you’ll need
- Bachelor’s degree in related field, graduate degree, MBA or other an asset
- 5 + years of relevant financial experience (preferably in investment banking, VC/Growth equity principal/fund investing, transaction services, consulting or corporate development within an operating business or entrepreneurial start-up)
- Keen interest in disruptive / innovative technology trends
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills and ability to perform in-depth analysis
- Entrepreneurial, self-motivated, results and growth-oriented
- Possess a global mindset-oriented approach to working on opportunities
- An ability to balance priorities, work independently with minimal direction, lead projects and thrive in a high performance team environment
- Advanced skills in Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to travel as required
What we’re offering
- Pay for performance environment that offers competitive salary and incentives
- Numerous opportunities for professional growth and development
- Comprehensive employer paid benefits coverage, including a Health Spending Account
- Guaranteed retirement income through a defined benefit pension plan
- Competitive time off
- Discount programs including Edvantage and Perkopolis
- Degreed: a digital platform that helps you quickly and easily discover, share, and track ALL kinds of learning resources — from courses to videos to articles and more.
At Ontario Teachers’, diversity is one of our core strengths. We are a globally minded organization and take pride ensuring that the people we hire and the culture we create reflect and celebrate diversity of thought, background and experience.
Accommodations are available upon request for candidates with a disability taking part in the recruitment process and once hired.
How to apply
Are you ready to pursue new challenges and take your career to the next level? Apply today!
You may be invited to complete a pre-recorded interview as part of the recruitment process. This will take no longer than 10 minutes.
We thank you for applying, however, only those selected to continue will be contacted. Note that candidates must be legally entitled to work in the country where this role is located.
The privacy of your personal information is important to us. Please visit our Privacy Centre to learn how we handle your personal information.
If interested, please apply here.