Floodgate is a venture capital firm in Palo Alto and San Francisco, that helps entrepreneurs launch movements and not just new business opportunities. We have invested at the seed stage in companies such as Lyft, Twitch, Twitter, Refinery29, Ayasdi, and Xamarin.
Both on the 2018 Forbes Midas List, Ann Miura-Ko and Mike Maples are looking to add fresh, emergent voices as Principals to the investment team at Floodgate. While the firm prides itself on its gender balance today, we recognize that diversity is defined in several other ways. We aspire to create a truly diverse firm, reflective of the breadth of backgrounds of successful entrepreneurs and the customers they serve.
The Principal is a Partner-track position. Initially, there are two responsibilities that will define what success looks like in this role:
- to provide meaningful leverage to the General Partners, with regard to portfolio company and board responsibilities; and
- to thoughtfully and effectively generate compelling deal flow and investment opportunities, by creating new relationships outside of the firm and building upon current ones.
Over time, some of these responsibilities will decrease in importance, and others will be added in their place as the Principal progresses in his or her evolution to Partner. Floodgate is committed to a high growth experience for the Principal, which includes a well defined career path, frequent feedback, learning from failure, and being set up for success.
The Principal is expected to:
- build relationships with emerging Founders in a thoughtful manner that furthers the team’s seed-stage investment strategy
- partner with portfolio company entrepreneurs to help them transform entire industries
- lead and execute due diligence on Founders and their nascent businesses, demonstrating increasingly seasoned instincts to identify key areas of risk and opportunity
- contribute to the firm’s reputation as a thought leader with regard to specific emerging technologies of personal interest and expertise
- enhance the professional development of Chiefs of Staff and Associates on the team
- source and recruit future Floodgate team members
- five or more years of full time work experience
- at least two years of full time work experience in relevant fields such as product management, strategy consulting, growth marketing, engineering, or sales operations
- authorized to work in the US without restriction until December 31, 2020
- high emotional intelligence, including a natural aptitude to connect with diverse personalities
- ability to present complex ideas and information in simple persuasive form
- superior analytical reasoning skills, as needed to size nascent markets, and assess dynamic competitive landscapes
- professional and personal maturity that demonstrate unquestionable integrity and sound business instincts
If interested, please apply here.