Energize Ventures invests in early stage technology businesses that make energy and industry more affordable, reliable and secure. Based in Chicago, we partner with world-class entrepreneurs solving complex problems by providing capital and our unique operational and commercial support.
Become a part of the Energize Ventures team to deliver excellent returns and build the Fund’s reputation as the premier energy and industrials technology venture investor. We are a small team with an entrepreneurial spirit and this role requires flexibility, a diverse skill set, and ability to perform at a high level on multiple fronts. We are looking for a driven, hard-working, insightful individual to help us with market deep dives, investment sprints, and other strategic initiatives.
The Principal reports to a Partner at Energize Ventures and will support the investment team in building the pipeline, due diligence and investment decisions. This is a full-time position based in Chicago, starting in Q1 2020. Help us identify, decide on, and win opportunities to invest in the best energy and industrial tech startups. Energize prefers to grow senior investment professionals from within the firm, and this role has the potential to be a “Partner-track” position.
- Evaluate and respond to a high volume of initial introductions, including holding initial screening conversations with ventures and evaluating those opportunities.
- Due diligence process including meeting notes, references, product and technical due diligence, competitive landscape research, market sizing, financial evaluation, and deal terms.
- Identify and track the most promising technologies and companies for potential investment.
- Regular LP updates on our portfolio and firm progress.
- Support development of insight pieces, blog posts, speeches or presentations.
- Attend conferences and events to build out both our deal pipeline and broader network.
- Enthusiasm for emerging technology, entrepreneurs, and start-ups.
- Self-motivated, highly productive, keen attention to detail, execution-oriented.
- Fundamental grasp and respect for the broader critical infrastructure and industrial markets.
- Desire and willingness to learn, give and take feedback, and challenge conventional thinking.
- Extraordinary written and verbal communication skills. Comfortable listening to, presenting, and disagreeing with investment points of view.
- Recognize important tech trends and emerging businesses, a different perspective on the energy and industrials verticals.
- Strong diligence skills. Ability to quickly evaluate the key questions, risks or upside to an opportunity, prioritize and execute diligence to flesh out these issues.
- Strong financial analysis skills. Ability to digest a financial model, identify and judge key drivers or vulnerabilities.
- Strong business and personal judgment.
- Someone with an outstanding work ethic who is able to envision, prioritize and complete parallel projects without requiring much guidance in a fast paced, fluid environment.
- Demonstrated interest in energy, technology, and industrials verticals.
- An individual with operating experience at a high-growth energy/technology company would be the strongest fit for this role.
- Experience owning a P&L, and managing capital allocation and sales process will help this individual succeed at Energize Ventures.
- Proven ability to identify and support talent; and is motivated by connecting executives with valuable industry members.
- 12+ years work experience, with 5–7 years in start-ups, and exposure to the venture capital industry.
Energize Ventures embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
Interested candidates should reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and we will follow up with you. We look forward to hearing from you.
If interested, please apply here.