We are seeking an individual who will be a Principal – Science & Technology in our Pasadena office. The incumbent will be a highly skilled individual with a strong scientific background and proficiency in business. This individual will assist in monitoring and tracking of life science companies and industry trends, lead venture investments and aid in corporate business development activities. In addition, this individual will serve as the General Manager of Alexandria LaunchLabs (Linkedin, Crunchbase) to be located at our Pasadena headquarters. In this role, the individual will be responsible for general oversight of all operations, marketing, member recruitment, strategic programming and coordinating with Alexandria staff on license/lease administration, accounting and all business matters related to the LaunchLabs operation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attend industry related events and workshops to promote Alexandria and Alexandria LaunchLabs.
- Maintain a strong presence and network throughout the Los Angeles life science/biotech community.
- Develop strategic relationships with the academic, commercial, and venture communities in Los Angeles.
Principal – Science & Technology
- Research, monitor and analyze existing life science entities’ performance and financial conditions primarily focused on the Los Angeles region.
- Lead local venture investment and business development activities.
- Analyze the viability of life science entities with respect to financials, technology platforms, drug discovery pipelines and other related scientific concepts.
- Provide support for executive/senior management and assist with special projects that require data compilation; analyze and interpret information in oral and written presentations.
- Research and analyze other existing and potentially new life science cluster markets.
General Manager – Alexandria LaunchLabs @ Pasadena Headquarters
- Manage multi-tenant, co-working space.
- Work closely with Alexandria’s leasing and marketing teams to promote Alexandria LaunchLabs throughout the local life science community.
- Oversee and manage all Alexandria LaunchLabs operations including, but not limited to:
- Member company recruitment, vetting and selection
- Branding & marketing
- Business development
- Strategic programming
- Partner relationships
- Source and coordinate third party service providers and other resources to support LaunchLabs member companies
- Interact and work closely with the Asset Management team with respect to the physical operation of the facility, as well as lease administration and accounting.
- Develop and maintain operating budgets and related financial reports.
- Review and maintain basic knowledge of the focus area and business plan of each LaunchLabs member company.
- Manage, track and analyze industry data. Including use of new technology to help manage and visualize large amounts of data. Build out Science and Technology team’s data and research capabilities in order to help inform strategy.
- Portfolio management of LP investments including gathering and synthesis of venture fund information and dissemination of analysis to key executives and Science & Technology team.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Strong understanding of scientific concepts, including but not limited to chemistry and biology fundamentals.
- Bachelor’s degree in a life science related field required; MS or MBA is required, PhD is preferred.
- Two years of laboratory research experience in biology, chemistry or related field desired.
- Minimum 5+ years prior work experience (or equivalent educational experience) within the life science or technology industry in a market research, business development, investment or financial analysis capacity is required; startup experience is a plus.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, financial statements, professional journals, procedures, or regulations. Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of executives, senior leadership and scientific leaders.
- Understanding of venture capital industry is required.
- Must have strong research, analytical, writing and decision making skills.
- Must be able to effectively handle multiple projects concurrently and work independently.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other employees.
- Strong connections in the Los Angeles life science industry, universities, academic medical centers and early stage companies is highly desirable.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Some travel required.