Merck & Co., Inc. (LinkedIn, Crunchbase) Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
The MRL Ventures Fund is the Cambridge, MA- based corporate venture capital investment group within Merck Research Laboratories, the R&D division of Merck & Co., Inc. MRL Ventures Fund creates and/or invests in seed and early-stage therapeutics companies, based on translatable breakthrough science, with the potential to deliver highly differentiated new medicines to improve human health.
This is a rare opportunity for an experienced, proven life-science venture professional to join as a senior investment professional at the start-up stage of a nimble, early-stage venture capital fund.
The Partner MRL Ventures Fund, will be responsible for the full-range of venture investing activities from deal sourcing and diligence, through syndication and negotiation, through post-close deal management and board representation.
The Partner will also be expected to be able to lead all aspects of new company creation, as part of the fund’s venture creation efforts and to play a leadership role in fund operational and strategic activities as requested by the fund President.
Full range of venture investing responsibilities:
* Independent sourcing, diligence, negotiating and closing of new and follow-on early-stage biotech private equity investments.
* Recommending new and follow-on investments to the fund President and Investment Committee.
* Conception, construction and (when necessary) interim leadership of internally-created newcos.
* All aspects of deal process including syndication, term sheet negotiation, and definitive document preparation.
* Post-deal management – including board or observer service, support of management, company strategy, and follow-on investment.
* Facilitation of company engagement with all levels and functional areas of Merck as appropriate
* Involvement in portfolio company business development and/or exit decisions.
Fund administrative and leadership activities:
* Contribute to establishing the fund’s presence, reputation, globally.
* Conducting and/or overseeing financial analyses and valuations.
* Drafting informal and formal investment recommendations for presentation to the MRL Ventures Fund Investment Committee.
* Portfolio-level activities including reserves planning, portfolio construction and prioritization and valuation.
* Representing MRL Ventures Fund at national and international conferences.
* Other fund operational, financial, administrative or strategic responsibilities as required by the fund President.
* Advanced scientific/technical/medical degree (MD, PhD, PharmD, etc) required.
* MBA or relevant financial/venture/business experience preferred.
* A minimum of 4 years of experience in venture capital investing (with strong preference for early-stage biopharmaceutical investing) or 8+ years in a combination of executive-level biopharmaceutical operational and investing roles– at least 3 of which were in venture capital investment roles, required.
* Experience serving on start-up biotech boards in director or active observer roles is required.
* Proven ability to independently source, negotiate, syndicate, close and manage venture investments, required.
* A strong and demonstrable history of working collegially and constructively with management teams and investment syndicates.
* Outstanding understanding of basic and clinical science, as well as biotech and pharma business
* Must be able to travel up to 50% of the time, primarily within US. Some international travel may be required.
* Outstanding reputation among top biotech venture capitalists and entrepreneurs.
* Excellent leadership, mentoring, and team building skills.
* Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
* Comfort and ability to work collaboratively and closely with a remotely-headquartered team.
* Results / action orientation with the ability to manage multiple and diverse projects simultaneously.
* A true passion for early-stage, transformational science, biotech entrepreneurship, and therapeutics discovery and development.
* Ability to work effectively and collegially in a large, highly-matrixed organization securing support from others when needed.
* Unwavering commitment to trust-based, ethical business practices.
* Preference for experience in therapeutics discovery companies, with specific emphasis on early stage (seed, series-A) investing.
* Direct experience with company creation and/or start-up operations preferred.
If interested, please apply here.