Techstars operates 30+ Accelerator programs around the globe and we’re looking for a Managing Director (MD) who can lead our Accelerator and investment strategy in Berlin in partnership with METRO.
The MD is part of the Accelerator program team, working closely with one operationally focused Program Manager (PM), the corporate partner and several cross functional team members who support the program.
The MD’s focus is investment – sourcing, recruiting and investing in the best companies; the PM’s focus is operations – executing on Techstars proven playbook and delivering the best possible experience for Founders. The MD consults with the partner to set the strategic direction and investment profile within the program, including a curated team of mentors, investors, business advisors and resources from the partner organization. The MD has overall ownership of the program success and partners with other operations units within Techstars to ensure the exceptional delivery of our programs, but the MD is ultimately responsible for turning good companies into great ones.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Define the strategic direction and investment profile within the program in partnership with the corporate partner.
- Partner with program teams to create holistic strategy and delivery plan and then own overall responsibility for the successful execution of program.
- Sourcing, recruiting and making the initial investments decisions in all companies selected.
- Partner with internal Techstars’ teams to create and drive the pipeline and recruitment of new companies across the entire Techstars network
- Create and nurture a strong network of mentors, sponsors, investors and corporate partners.
- Selecting and hiring of an Entrepreneur-in-Residence (EIR), who is an expert in a specific area of focus and partners with the MD to provide additional guidance to Founders.
- Expertise in term sheets, negotiations and fundraising.
- Alignment with the Techstars vision, direction and support of overall organization objectives.
- Engage with founders to ensure Techstars is delivering on the promise “Do what’s right for the founder”.
- Share new best practices with the Techstars’ team globally as you identify areas for innovation and improvement.
- Develop scalable systems and processes to regularly provide bi-directional updates to the Techstars’ investment portfolio across the region.
- Represent Techstars in local community, both actively and passively.
- Service the Techstars’ network overall on and off-season: mentor new MDs, assist in other programs, work on strategic initiatives and develop meaningful and beneficial relationships across the Techstars ecosystem.
- 7+ years of experience in fast-paced environments within technology, startups, entrepreneurship and venture capital.
- Comfortable with a minimal amount of direction but high expectations
- Comfortable commanding a room; public speaking and community development is part of the job
- Fits the Techstars’ culture (#givefirst, Entrepreneurial Inclination, High Quality and Network Focused)
- Experience working in or with large corporate organizations
- Strong global connections to VC community outside of the local region is highly desirable
- Experience building and leading successful teams
- Knowledge of DiSC, StrengthsFinder or similar tools is highly desirable
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college/university or equivalent industry experience
- Ability to travel 25% within territory, as well as other meetings and events around the globe
If interested, please apply here.