ICA Fund Good Jobs (Linkedin) is currently looking for a full time Managing Director of Investments to develop and lead strategies for both debt and equity investments, manage portfolio performance, lead the investment team, and raise investment capital funds.
ICA Fund Good Jobs is a nonprofit organization based in Oakland, CA with a mission to educate, accelerate, and invest in high-growth small businesses in order to create accessible good jobs that lead to equitable communities for all. Since the establishment of our investment fund in 2013, we have deployed seed investments of $2.2 million to 5 companies that did not qualify for funding from traditional sources.
ICA Fund Good Jobs acts as a hybrid banking/venture capital investor. We provide investments of $300,000 to $1 million, structured to support a company’s sustainable growth and promote job creation. Deep, service-led engagements allow us to mitigate our risk and close deals that other lenders would avoid due to high risk or transactional costs. Moreover, our investments improve the risk profiles of the companies we support, allowing them to raise additional capital by attracting the participation of other lenders.
The fund targets the women and entrepreneurs of color most impacted by the Bay Area’s opportunity gap, whose businesses are consistently undercapitalized compared to their white male peers. Additionally, the fund was officially certified as a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) in 2016, opening up the opportunity to receive federal funding for the purpose of small business lending and investment. Please find additional info at: icafundgoodjobs.org
At ICA Fund Good Jobs, we are a mission-first team. This means we are driven by a healthy obsession for delivering results and that everything revolves around our mission to support small businesses so they can create good jobs. We bet on people who build people, and that starts internally. We move with the same entrepreneurial spirit as the small businesses we invest resources and capital into, and support each other through consistent hard work, collective problem-solving and focus. Our culture fosters mutual respect, cooperation, and collegiality in a supportive, open-space work environment.
Key Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- 10+ years of investment and/or lending to high-growth small businesses ($1-10M in revenues).
- Experience structuring debt and equity deals.
- Experience raising investment capital, as well as facilitating investor relations.
- Experience managing a team (investment or other business related).
- Venture capital, private equity, banking and lending experience preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with a wide variety of stakeholders (entrepreneurs, investors, board members, staff).
- Proactive, solutions-oriented, self-directed, with strong leadership skills and demonstrated high performance.
- Thrives in a cross-functional, collaborative environment.
- Entrepreneurial and adaptable with the ability to manage competing priorities.
- This is a full time position ~ 40 hours per week. The Managing Director will report to the CEO and lead an investment team of two, providing coaching/feedback on individual development plans and investment management.
- Develop portfolio investment strategy to maximize earned income and mission objectives.
- Oversee underwriting and deal structuring process for the Fund’s investments.
- Oversee servicing of the Fund’s portfolio investments. Assess portfolio risks and provide regular reporting to the Investment Committee.
- Responsible for raising a blended set of capital resources (equity capital, PRIs, CRA Funds, Recoverable Grants).
- Evaluate and improve portfolio management systems infrastructure.
- Identify key milestones for portfolio companies to reach a successful exit.
The Managing Director of Investment position is based in Oakland, CA. Salary commensurate with experience. ICA Fund Good Jobs also offers a competitive benefits package.
If interested, please apply here.