Yunus Social Business believes in the power of business to end poverty. We were founded in 2011 by Peace Nobel Laureate Prof. Yunus, Saskia Bruysten and Sophie Eisenmann to expand the success of social business from Bangladesh around the world.
Why Yunus Social Business (YSB)?
We work in 7 countries around the world and have most recently launched our operations in Kenya. This is a great opportunity for an individual who is looking to play a significant role in launching a social venture fund in Kenya. One who wants to empower social impact startups so that they can succeed.
We are looking for a dynamic and self-motivated team member with strong management, organizational and leadership skills to join our small, entrepreneurial team as Investment Manager at YSB Kenya. This position will be based in Nairobi and is open to only Kenyan Nationals.
Shortlist Professionals is handling the recruitment process for this role and sending your application to Yunus Social Business will not increase your chances of being considered.
- Build up the investment pipeline by identifying suitable social businesses with strong investment potential
- Perform due diligence on social businesses in the pipeline, i.e. validate the business and financial model, prepare Investment Committee meetings, determine the equity and debt financing structure as well as prepare and negotiate term sheets and contracts
- Continuously improve the due diligence and investment process
Manage the Portfolio
- Work closely with Social Business Entrepreneurs in the portfolio to understand their needs as well as provide ongoing support to develop and grow their social businesses
- Ensure monthly, quarterly and annual reporting is performed by the social businesses in the portfolio; escalation issues identified, e.g. lack of reporting, underperformance and mission drift
- Own the local monthly and quarterly portfolio reviews
- Continuously improve the portfolio management processes. This includes developing: (a) Reporting and tracking tools to monitor as well as evaluate the social and financial impact of businesses (b) Processes that ensure that resources are adequately matched to the needs of the entrepreneurs
- Support local fundraising activities, i.e. draft Funder proposals in addition to funder and donor reports
- Collaborate with the Global and East Africa team on fund related topics
- Work with other YSB employees on various projects for the benefit of the organisation, e.g. developing new tools, process and products, etc.
Does this sound like you?
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant area (Economics, Finance, Business, etc.); MBA or other advanced degree in a relevant field will be an added advantage.
- 5 – 7 years of progressively responsible experience in one or several of the following fields: (a) Strategy consulting, experience with SMEs would be an advantage (b) Investment Banking, Private Equity, Venture Capital or Impact Investing (c) SME and economic inclusion programs of NGOs or Developing Agencies (d) Previous entrepreneurial experience is highly valued
- Prior experience with financial and operational due diligence
- Able to build and evaluate financial models
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced loosely structured environment and ability to adapt quickly as things change
- Significant experience working in Kenya and extensive understanding of the Kenyan context; experience in other emerging markets inside or outside of East Africa is a plus
- Warm, ‘can-do’ and hands-on attitude with a strong team spirit in supporting the entire team
- Willingness to travel outside of Nairobi, including to rural areas, as well as international travel on occasions
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
If interested, please apply here.