UM Ventures is a joint initiative of the Mpowering the State Program, bringing the University of Maryland, College Park and University of Maryland, Baltimore together to commercialize discoveries and create economic impact by engaging partners in industry and social ventures. University of Maryland’s Dingman Center for Entrepreneurship, a UM Ventures partner organization, is one of the nation’s pre-eminent institutions where the research, education and practice of entrepreneurship are pursued vigorously.
UM Ventures, co-led by the Associate Vice President, Innovation & Business Development, and the Dingman Center for Entrepreneurship work closely together to provide resources to companies seeking seed stage funding through the Maryland Momentum Fund and the Dingman Center Angels investor network.
UM Ventures requires a hard working, dynamic Venture Investment Manager to identify, recruit, screen & coach seed stage investment opportunities for the Dingman Center Angels and the Maryland Momentum Fund. He/she will also manage the angel network, build a pipeline of UMD and regional entrepreneurs, provide support for faculty led startups and serve as a subject matter expert for a course for student venture associates.
The Venture Investment Manager must be interested in working with startups or in venture capital and enjoy the combination of a fast paced, startup environment in an academic setting.
Bachelor’s Degree in business or related field required.
Minimum of 5 years relevant experience, such as prior experience in startup/entrepreneurial environment, investment banking, private equity, venture capital or technology licensing.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
High energy, efficient worker who excels in a dynamic work environment.
Effective networking skills; comfortable approaching prospects at local and regional events.
- Strong analytical skills to review business models and investor pitches and provide actionable feedback relating to new venture strategies; venture capital valuation/economics, financial modeling, intellectual property and marketing.
- Strong project management skills. Ability to set priorities, organize and manage multiple planning tasks independently.
- Ability to interact effectively and build relationships with a range of consituents, including MBA and undergraduate students, early stage entrepreneurs, investors, corporate sponsors, faculty and staff at all levels.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with strong attention to detail.
Self-starter willing to take initiative, seek guidance when needed and see projects through to completion independently.
- Flexible, adaptable and comfortable with uncertainty and operating in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Commitment to the mission of the UM Ventures and a willingness to work flexible hours in support of effective program delivery.
- Ability to mentor nascent entrepreneurs.
If interested, please apply here.