Parallel18 – a program of the Puerto Rico Science, Technology, and Research Trust – is a top-level, performance-driven international startup program with a social mission: offering entrepreneurs from all over the world access to high-quality business training, funding, and networks to help them scale globally while working to position Puerto Rico as a unique hub for innovative businesses and technology.
To make sure that companies in the parallel18 network can get better access to capital from investors and to opportunities that can help them scale their businesses exponentially post-program, and to expand the reach and outcomes of P18Ventures – our in-house investment fund – we are creating the position of Investment Fund Manager.
We expect from this role to awesomely facilitate the private capital investment infrastructure of the program, as well as contribute positively to the investability of the companies in their time during and after the program, including:
- Along with the Director of Operations, engage with existing P18Ventures portfolio, providing direct support to companies the program has invested in
- Support the expansion of P18Ventures capital support by contributing to the formation of a formal investment fund, including assisting in the engagement of appropriate stakeholders and service providers to make this happen
- Work closely with parallel18 leadership to devise an investment strategy that meets the goals of a typical startup investment fund and P18Ventures
- With guidance from P18Ventures leadership, support fundraising activities to enable deployment of capital in more companies through both new and follow-on investments
- Identify and monitor promising leads for potential P18Ventures investment through scouting activities
- Perform due diligence and evaluate investments based on potential return of investment and strategic goals
- Facilitate business opportunities and investor connections for portfolio companies so that investments can continue increasing in value and build towards a potential exit
- Support Puerto Rico’s startup investment ecosystem by executing an investor education curriculum that informs potential local investors on how startup investment works
- Identify and monitor promising leads for potential limited partners through outreach and networking, thereby nurturing a pipeline of fund investors
- Along with the Director of Operations, expand and nurture the international investors’ network, which may require some business trips
- Contribute to managing relationships with relevant stakeholders of the formed P18Ventures fund, including supporting proper reporting of fund and portfolio performance
- Serve as an internal resource that provides constant strategy advice to companies in the parallel18 program, with a special focus on investment topics and fundraising strategy
- Engage as needed in weekly meetings to provide continued support to companies participating in parallel18
- Contribute to the design and execution of future financing mechanisms – such as loans or other novel alternatives – that can provide funding to startups
- Contribute to the design and execution of initiatives that can support the long term growth and exit opportunities of portfolio startups and P18 alumni companies
- Support parallel18’s Operations team in specific projects as needed
The ideal candidate for the Investment Fund Manager position must:
- Do things with passion and always bring a positive can-do attitude. Execution is one of the most important attributes, as you need to think big but start small and constantly challenge the status quo.
- Possess a T-shaped mindset and entrepreneurial thinking.
- Be a fast learner, resourceful, and have a keen attention to detail.
- Work independently and within teams effectively.
- Be able to work under pressure and in multiple projects.
- Have outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Have outstanding time management and organization skills.
- Have a strong financial background and outstanding analytical skills.
- Be dependable and punctual.
- Be ethical, always showing a professional demeanor.
- Have a high motivation to make a positive impact in Puerto Rico.
To be part of this gig you should have had experience managing investment fund activities in some capacity and with overseeing a portfolio of startup companies.
This is a global and multicultural program so you must be fluent in Spanish and English.
Proven experience in the innovation/entrepreneurship field
Proven experience in building a business and raising funding as a startup founder
Proven experience in forming and operating an investment fund
Proven experience in deploying investment capital into startup companies
Proven experience in tracking of startups’ goals and metrics and with facilitating the growth and investability of entrepreneurs beyond what they think it’s possible
Proven experience with detailed financial reporting
If interested, please apply here.