OMERS Ventures is the venture capital arm of OMERS, one of Canada’s largest pension funds with more than $85 billion in net assets. We work with external investment partners including several leading multinational corporations. Together we have directly invested more than $300 million in growth-oriented companies in the North American technology industry creating over 5000 jobs in Canada. OMERS Ventures is made up of people whose diverse backgrounds and skill sets come together to drive one common goal – supporting and growing the Canadian innovation economy.
As a member of this team, you will be responsible for
The Summer Intern will help the investment team optimize its data engine. Reporting into the Management team, you will be involved in gathering disparate pieces of data across pitch decks, meeting notes and CRM entries, and creating a holistic database of startups across the tech ecosystem. You will build strong relationships with the Investment Team members and manage the centralized source of data across the organization.The Summer Intern will
- Pull together disparate streams of data across multiple data sources, to organize and centralize the data across the organization.
- Learn about multiple business models, startup metrics and key performance indicators used within the venture capital industry.
- Frequently meet with individual team members of the Investment Team to gather knowledge and data on multiple startups.
- Work with data science experts to understand best practices regarding data cleansing.
- Exposure to open, thoughtful dialogue with the Investment Committee on potential investments.
- Attend local events to create a large network of technology executives, entrepreneurs, venture capitalists and others within the industry.
To succeed in this role
Who You Are
You’re organized, thoughtful and a data-driven person. You are able to quickly build trusting and mutually beneficial relationships. You are intrinsically motivated to succeed and have a genuine desire to help others achieve their goals as well. You are passionate about the Canadian start-up ecosystem and want to contribute to its growth and success.
What You Bring To The Table
- Undergraduate (second or third year) or Masters university student in business administration, commerce, computer science, engineering or data science.
- Data-driven, with knowledge of finance/accounting and startup metrics.
- Strong Excel analytical skillset required. Experience in Salesforce is an asset.
- Involvement in the start-up community and a desire to cultivate new relationships.
- A passion for technology demonstrated by in-depth knowledge of current and emerging technology innovations.
- Clear and concise communication skills.
- Strong research and analytical skills.
If interested, please apply here.