Not just the high-five ones. The jarring, rocky, edge-of-the-seat ones too. Few Entrepreneurs go back to their original investors for their next venture. Ours do. We take that as a sign we’re doing it right. Valuing uniqueness, supporting ambition.
We like to be the first institutional money in to a seed or series A round, but we have the ability to follow our investment from a few hundred thousand right up to £25 million. The 60 or so companies we’ve backed in recent years include Big Health, graze.com, Evie, Eve, Magic Pony, Secret Escapes, Sofar Sounds, Swiftkey, Swoon Editions, tails.com, Zoopla Property Group and Zynstra.
We are a tight knit team with the singular goal of being the most valued partner to the businesses we back. We’d love for you to join us!
- You will join the New York office as an intern on a full-time basis for 6 months.
- You will support a variety of exceptional founders in different ways day to day.Your primary focus will be around identifying, researching and communicating best practices for successful market entry into the US to our portfolio of 60+ companies. You will find ways to unleash the strategies, quick hacks, and bear-traps-to-avoid trapped inside the best and brightest minds in tech.
- You will also help our portfolio companies meet the challenges of scaling their businesses in the US by building a relevant network of executives, service providers, corporates and growth stage investors.You will help organize meaningful events for our portfolio and bring leaders together to share what they know.
- You will always be learning. One of your biggest challenges will be how to operationalize our transfer of knowledge and facilitate knowledge-share to and from time-strapped founders.
- You will help out on other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of Octopus Ventures, some of which we don’t know about yet, and some of which you will help to define.
- You will work seamlessly with our team in London, but you will not be asked to look for potential new investment opportunities.
- You are ambitious and flexible, prepared to frequently step out of your comfort zone, work hard to deliver the team’s goals, and have a desire to create a positive, happy work environment.
- You have a strong drive and the ability to self-direct, especially on multiple projects at any one time. Our work and time is open-ended by nature and you must be able to identify and execute on opportunities to contribute to the team with little, if any, management or direction
- You are personable, engaging and able to build relationships quickly and easily.
- You are able to research, assimilate and communicate complex ideas clearly and succinctly in writing and verbally. You will see the big picture, and you’ll sweat the tiniest details.
- You are a leader, and are able to initiate change with an ability to listen, counsel and coach.
- You have had exposure to the technology industry within a startup, leading technology company or consultancy.
- You have an outstanding network in the US startup scene.
- You graduated from a leading university with an excellent academic record.
How do you apply?
We’re excited to hear from you! To begin the application process, please submit answers to the four written questions (up to 250 words for each) and the video question (up to 120 seconds) below. Also, please upload your resume/CV to share a bit more about your experience with us.
If it looks like you could be a fit for the team, we’ll invite you to an in-person interview to engage with us and present a project (more details then) that can help us learn more about your thinking and interests. We look forward to learning more about you!
If interested, please apply here.