Each year, we look forward to welcoming Summer Associates to Lerer Hippeau. During their time with us, they become key members of our team, making meaningful contributions around sourcing, adding to our knowledge of emerging industries, and developing tools to help better support our portfolio and founders. We’re excited to kick off the search for our 2020 Lerer Hippeau Summer Associates.
Lerer Hippeau is the most active early-stage venture capital fund in New York. The firm has more than 250 active portfolio companies with investments in leading consumer and enterprise companies, including Allbirds, Casper, Guideline, Axios, and Namely. Founded by a team of operators, the firm invests across all sectors, backing entrepreneurs with product vision, customer insight, and a keen instinct for brand building.
About the Summer Associate Position
This summer, we’re looking for two Summer Associates to join our investment team in New York. At Lerer Hippeau, we’re an inclusive and flat organization. Our Summer Associate program is an invaluable opportunity to gain exposure to key areas of venture capital including sourcing, investment analysis, partner meetings, deal execution, and portfolio support. All candidates should have a strong interest in learning about the venture capital industry and a passion for startup technology companies.
Our summer associates will lead special projects for the partnership and support the existing portfolio. The internship is based in New York.
This summer you will:
- Complete one or more sector-specific deep dives and help map out interesting investment opportunities
- Assist investment team with market and competitive landscape research
- Attend local networking events to expand network with tech community
- Develop benchmarking processes and initiatives that support LH portfolio operations
- Work on ad hoc portfolio company projects
- Write one (or more) Medium posts sharing high-level insights from work and/or research completed over the course of the internship
- Currently enrolled in a Master’s program (MBA preferred)
- At least 2 years of full-time, post-college work experience — startup experience is a plus
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills and expertise in Excel
- Strong communication skills and proficiency in PowerPoint
- Demonstrated interest in startups and technology
- Baseline knowledge of the New York tech ecosystem and familiarity with venture
- Domain experience or interest in emerging tech, enterprise software, marketplaces, fintech, or AI/ML is a plus
- Self-starter with strong organizational skills and the ability to multitask
- Team player willing to help with whatever is needed
Note: Lerer Hippeau cannot provide employment visa sponsorship for this role. As a precondition for employment, all applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
If you’d like to apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Your resume and any relevant links you’d like us to consider (LinkedIn, Twitter, Medium or personal blog).
We will follow up directly if your background and experience is a fit. We’re accepting applications through Friday, February 14.
In the meantime, read what last year’s summer associates worked on:
- What founders should know about preparing for their Series A by Claire Biernacki
- What founders and investors should know about benchmarking breakout DTC brands by Max Wechter
- What’s happening in digital health: Drivers, trends and opportunities by Andrew Cheung