H/L is a strategy and venture firm based in New York City. Founded in 2009, we are dedicated to accelerating companies, focusing on high-growth businesses that add value to society. H/L is a new kind of venture firm; our unique Growth Catalyst model is designed to help portfolio companies and their leaders achieve the next stage of their success through active and regular engagement by H/L partners and their network. We are committed to a culture of integrity, excellence, and hard work. http://www.h-l.vc
H/L seeks an enthusiastic, innovative, dedicated, and mature Venture Intern to join our team in New York City. H/L is a new kind of venture firm focusing on high-growth businesses that add value to society. We have a robust portfolio of companies at various stages, all of which we onboard at early stages through an acceleration process. Our portfolio companies span sectors including renewable energy, food of the future, clean water, cybersecurity, sustainable fashion, data fusion, enterprise software, and more; the unifying factors are growth potential, early stage, and companies with a positive impact and/or diverse founding teams. Much of the remit for this position can be accomplished remotely, but the Venture Intern will periodically spend time at the H/L offices.
This is a unique opportunity for an intern to help source and analyze early-stage companies and work with the H/L team across the business. We are looking for someone entrepreneurial who is hungry and looking to learn about startups and venture capital. This is a paid internship and an educational program to help MBA students transition into and learn about the startup and venture capital ecosystem.
Sourcing and Due Diligence
- Conducting general market research in sectors of interest
- Proactively seeking potential candidate companies
- Reviewing business plans, financial models, and other due diligence materials of potential candidate companies, including performing financial modeling, deal structure analysis, and product testing
- Taking part in and/or managing phone screens and meetings during the due diligence process
- Managing databases of opportunities and relevant relationships
- Assisting in projects, analysis, and other value-add work for existing portfolio companies
- Creating and sharing various reports for H/L’s team and members
- Supporting team members on ad-hoc projects and managing office operations
- Research accelerators, incubators, investors, and other community organizations
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a number of important characteristics, including:
- Trustworthy. Deep sense of integrity and exceptionally good judgment.
- Committed. Passion for positive social impact in a strong innovation sector; devoted to innovation and entrepreneurship; exhibiting a desire to work hard in a start-up environment.
- Technically-Adept. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (including Office, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel), other technical and product-related skills beneficial.
- Academically Qualified. Excellent academic performance; Masters Candidate at a school in proximity to New York City.
- Experienced. Comfort with financial modeling, facility with cap tables and standard
structures, and participation in due diligence processes; strong financial acumen.
- Hard-Working. Possessing a strong work ethic, responsive, and attentive to detail. Stays until the job is done; capable of reviewing many companies effectively.
- Professional. Exhibit a high degree of professionalism and discretion, including situation- appropriate work and communication style.
- Positive. Helpful can-do attitude as a mature team player; strong ability to build and curate relationships and trust; do-any-job attitude; comfortable among new groups of people.
- Proactive. Confident, with the ability to work flexibly and autonomously in an open-ended, self-directed work culture.
- Organized. Advanced organization and multitasking skills, allowing effective prioritization and meeting deadlines without fail.
- Detailed. Experience researching and writing analytical reports in the tech/finance space; ability to produce well-designed, professional products in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
- Communicative. Possessing extraordinary communications skills, including written, verbal, and interpersonal, especially as the Venture Intern will be talking to entrepreneurs and other stakeholders on behalf of the firm.
- Additional Helpful Qualifications. Helpful if the candidate has some experience in the start- up ecosystem, existing network / high connectivity, and previous venture finance experience.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.