Play a critical role as a team member of a strategic investing effort within Fresenius Medical Care, (Linkedin, Crunchbase) executing on leading the internal investment process in early stage companies.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide strategic leadership of short- and long-term goals through the use of thoughtful techniques in the communication of the company’s mission and core values as a means to implement positive change and/or create organizational structure within the assigned business unit(s).
- Lead operational efforts through subordinates to complete the administration of business processes and services to ensure the operations effective achievement of goals within the assigned business unit(s).
- Direct and control the broad activities of the business unit(s) through the interpretation, application and implementation of company-wide policies and processes appropriate to the functional area(s).
- Ensure that budgets and schedules are within company requirements with significant organizational responsibility for the overall control of planning, staffing, budgeting, expense priority management, and recommendation and implementation changes of current methods.
- Strategic leader with broad-based knowledge in individual departments, and strong knowledge of industry practice and business principles. Works on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth knowledge of the company.
- Participates with other senior managers to establish strategic plans and objectives. Develops strategies for direct departments, and contributes to the development of divisional/business unit strategies.
- Makes final decision on administrative or operational matters, and ensures operations effective achievement of objectives.
- Interprets and provides recommendations for change of company-wide policies and practices. Establishes policies appropriate for the function.
- Identify, diligence, and close investment opportunities that fit Ventures scope and goals, including preparation of all material needed to drive investment decision making.
- Serve in Board Observer roles for portfolio companies, representing both Ventures and FMC interests, and actively manage portfolio company relationships.
- Maintain a high level of knowledge of the target investment areas for Ventures.
- Collaborate with members of Ventures and Technology and Innovation Management teams to define and support both Ventures’ mission, and that of FMC.
- Develop relationships within the venture capital and startup communities on behalf of Ventures.
- Support the continuous improvement of Ventures investment processes, operational strategies, and working relationships.
- Actively participate in the venture community via participation at conferences, taking speaker roles, mentoring opportunities or similar to create visibility for Ventures and support the ecosystem.
- Participate in activities on behalf of the Head, Fresenius Medical Care Ventures when required.
- Interact with all levels of the organization, and collaborate across the organization to complete due diligence, provide Ventures input when needed to other areas within FMC, and support activities in Business Development or other functional groups.
- Review and comply with the Code of Business Conduct and all applicable company policies and procedures.
- Mentor other staff as applicable.
- Assist with various projects as assigned by a direct supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional responsibilities may include focus on one or more departments or locations. See applicable addendum for department or location specific functions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Willingness/ability to travel, including globally.
- May be responsible for the direct supervision of various levels of related staff.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; MD, PhD and/or MBA preferred
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- Minimum 10+ years of related experience (such as Corporate business development, Corporate venture, or Venture Capital or a leading start-up company in the healthcare, life sciences, medtech or biotech industries).
- 5+ years of experience as a Manager; or 5+ years of experience in a senior managerial role Venture capital investment experience, either in a role in a venture capital firm or a corporate venture capital program, with previous Board Observer roles as a requirement and deal closing experience.
- Investment and/or industry experience in cardiovascular markets, e-health applications, or similar preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of the venture investment process.
- Highly motivated self-starter, with a proven ability to work independently and in a complex environment. Willingness to work without significant administrative support.
- Strong financial skills, including ability to assess financial statements
- Demonstrated ability to engage with and manage input from multiple functions, including research, clinical, financial, marketing, and business development.
- Willingness to manage all aspects of driving investments, including detailed research, ability to assess financial position of target companies, understanding of investment terms, due diligence, and compiling investment proposals. Proven ability to complete the investment process.
- Superior critical thinking, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Previous experience in medical device research, engineering, marketing, strategy consulting or business development preferred, including roles in either large organizations or venture-backed startup companies with operational responsibility.
If Interested, please apply here.