BioGenerator is seeking qualified candidates to join our team and help us achieve our mission of promoting economic growth and regional prosperity. BioGenerator, the non-profit investment arm of BioSTL, was established to create, grow, and invest directly in a new generation of successful, sustainable St. Louis-based bioscience companies. BioGenerator provides startups with pre-seed and seed investment funds, shared lab space, and in-depth management support. BioGenerator’s current portfolio of over 60 companies represents an array of disciplines aligned with St. Louis’ bioscience strengths, including therapeutics, diagnostics, medical devices, agtech, food/nutrition, research tools, and healthcare IT.
BioSTL builds a wholly inclusive, globally connected innovation economy for the St. Louis region. BioSTL, a privately-funded non-profit organization, initiated and operates a suite of nationally recognized programs to transform the St. Louis bioscience and innovation economy, build regional capacity, focus community resources, and nurture a collaborative environment that capitalizes on the unique convergence of St. Louis’ corporate, university, and entrepreneurial strengths in medical and plant bioscience.
To achieve St. Louis’ potential in the high-growth bioscience industry, BioSTL has organized business, university, and philanthropic leaders around a set of deliberate strategies in: startup creation and investment (BioGenerator), strategic business attraction (GlobalSTL), physical environment (BioGenerator Labs), entrepreneur support (BioGenerator Fundamentals), diversity, inclusion, and equity (Inclusion Initiative and St. Louis Equity in Entrepreneurship Collective), regional talent and workforce (STEMSTL), and public policy (national Innovation Advocacy Council). Together, these initiatives have helped advance St. Louis’ leadership in solving important world challenges in agriculture, medicine, healthcare, and other technology areas.
BioSTL and BioGenerator believe their success is of vital importance to the future growth and prosperity of the St. Louis region, and seek committed individuals who share this vision, who desire to make a difference, and who want to be part of a transformative organization. We are seeking individuals who will bring diverse perspectives and experiences, coupled with analytical and evaluative expertise, to BioGenerator’s investment team and its startup company portfolio.
The Venture Capital Fellows Program will engage top talent to join a 12- to 24-month, full-time immersive fellowship with BioGenerator. Modeled after National Institutes of Health and other competitive scientific fellowships, this program will offer individuals a customized opportunity to develop and grow in the areas of early stage venture capital investing and startup company creation, growth and development. Over the course of the program it is anticipated individual Fellows will gain exposure in several of the following areas of focus.
· Generating deal flow
· Networking with other investors
· Reviewing technical and business proposals
· Capitalization structures
· Conducting market and competitive research
· Corporate governance
· Evaluating founders and entrepreneurs, and startup company teams
· Building business pitches and fundraising
· Company strategy
· Performing investment due diligence on potential and existing portfolio companies
· Licensing and protecting intellectual property
· Product development
· Creating financial projections and valuations
· Sales and marketing
· Writing investment memos
· Evaluating exit opportunities
This unique program will provide Fellows with strategic skills and, most importantly, real-life investment experience required in the investment and corporate communities. It also provides highly qualified, intellectually curious and high-achieving individuals exposure to BioGenerator’s network of local and national entrepreneurs, portfolio company management teams, other venture funds and industry professionals.
- Provide analyses of potential investments through written and oral recommendations, including all aspects of the technology and business
- Work closely with investment staff in multiple capacities to drive efforts that: Source potential investments from institutions, entrepreneurs and syndication partners; advance non-portfolio companies to the point that they are investable by BioGenerator or others; evaluate the merits for follow-on funding of existing BioGenerator portfolio companies; and assist existing BioGenerator portfolio companies and entrepreneurs as needed
- Continue to improve BioGenerator’s programs and approaches through new ideas and ongoing problem solving
- Continue to enhance BioGenerator’s reputation as a national leader in technology innovation and bioscience commercialization
- Contribute to deliverables of partner organizations through collaborative projects that may relate to investments made by partner organizations or directly assisting startup companies
- High quality decision making in the investment process for BioGenerator and its partners
- Investment candidates are better prepared to seek investments from BioGenerator and others
- Advance the local and national reputation of BioSTL, BioGenerator and St. Louis bioscience opportunities
- Advanced degree in science or medicine (PhD or MD preferred) or business (MBA or equivalent preferred). Candidates with other combinations of educational and professional experience will be considered
- Industry and/or startup workforce experience, including consulting work, is desired
- Deep understanding of life science technology with an emphasis on applied and commercial applications
- Demonstrated track record of independent analytical thinking and successful multi-tasking
Skills and Attributes:
- Ability to excel in a team setting as well as independent assignments
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with senior executives of diverse backgrounds (investors, inventors, faculty, students, entrepreneurs and governmental agencies)
- Can adapt to shifting priorities, demands and timelines promptly and efficiently
- Ability to dissect and understand complex business issues
- Commitment to making St. Louis a great region for entrepreneurship and start-up activity
- Willingness to deeply examine technology and business models across a diverse scope of industries
- Highest personal integrity
Please send a detailed letter of interest and resume to Jim Jaacks at email@example.com with “Venture Capital Fellow” in the subject line. Confidential inquiries can be submitted to the same email address.