Chevron is one of the world’s leading energy companies, with approximately 48,000 employees working in countries around the world. We explore, produce and transport crude oil and natural gas; refine, market and distribute fuels and other energy products; manufacture and sell petrochemical products; generate power; and develop future energy resources.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Venture Executive located in Houston, TX Texas through March 20, 2019 at 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time).
Chevron Technology Ventures (CTV) champions the innovation, commercialization and integration of emerging technologies into Chevron. We identify technology advances that could strengthen our core operations and lead Chevron to new opportunities for growth. Through our technology and venture capital teams, we scan the globe for technologies that can yield strategic and financial value. We also look for pioneering startup companies whose technologies could enhance the way Chevron produces and delivers energy. CTV invests in companies at any phase in the development cycle, from providing early-stage seed investment to offering capital for full-scale commercialization.
CTV over its 20-year history has opened 6 successive venture capital funds, and utilizes industry leading, world-class corporate venture capital processes. In mid-2018, CTV opened its 6th fund – Future Energy – focused on start-ups developing innovative technologies and business approaches that have the potential to disrupt. Focus of the fund is on lower emissions from O&G, and lower emission energy sources; initial verticals include emission reduction and conversion, energy efficiency, grid management and power storage, mobility, alternative fuels and consumer IOT. We invest in technology companies directly and indirectly through other venture capital funds. Although we want to be among the first to take advantage of important innovations, we also look for superior financial returns.
CTV’s knowledgeable team of professionals has extensive experience in the energy industry as well as venture investment. Located in Houston, Texas, the team screens over 400 opportunities a year and manages more than $350 million in strategic investments. We stay abreast of developments across the entire technology spectrum. We understand the broad scope of Chevron’s operations and their need for the latest, most efficient technologies. We work closely with our portfolio companies, as they push hard to transform their promising new ideas into full-fledged, sustainable businesses.
The successful candidate will source, evaluate, prosecute and facilitate management of early-stage company investments as Venture Principal or Venture Executive in Chevron Technology Ventures (CTV) Future Energy Team.
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Scout for business and technology innovation from external companies and venture fund portfolio entities. Have a deep curiosity for technological advancements; leverage knowledge of energy value chain to identify and evaluate numerous technologies/companies in a very high velocity work environment.
- Conduct financial, management and technology screening and detailed due diligence for additional investments. Proven analytical ability for financial analysis; ability to review and digest complex legal agreements is required.
- Interact with a large network of external company industry executives and venture capital contacts. Interact with portfolio companies as Board Observer, as needed, to maximize portfolio company value both the portfolio company and to Chevron.
- Develop and maintain understanding of important technologies in the broader energy ecosystem, where trends are occurring, and where innovation has the potential to disrupt. Develop and maintain strong network, both internal and external
- Domestic travel is required depending on business needs
- After hours or weekend work may be required based on business needs
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or physics and MBA
- Minimum of 8 years in energy industry, with understanding of hydrocarbon processing and commercial negotiations
- Experienced in Venture Capital and startup ecosystem
- Demonstrated ability for delivering deal flow and investment
- Master’s degree in technical field (chemical, bio-chemical), law degree.
- Minimum 10 years energy industry experience.
If interested, please apply here.