TELUS Ventures is a creative and catalytic investor, where we help entrepreneurs by combining our 70,000 employees across the globe, our leading technological expertise, our millions of customers and an extensive partner ecosystem for the benefits of our portfolio companies. Recent investments include companies such as League (Digital Health), Integrate.AI (Privacy by Design AI for Customer Insights), Miovision (Smart Cities) and Hummingbird (AgTech). TELUS invests in Seed to Pre IPO and invests up to $70 Million per company.
Here’s the impact you’ll make and what we’ll accomplish together
The Investment Director will lead investment deal activities by identifying, researching and evaluating top tier venture capital opportunities in Canada, the US, Europe and Asia. As part of a small and high performing team you will defend your thinking, your research and your recommendations to the TELUS and Ventures Leadership teams. By building a structured approach and tools to facilitate the tracking, evaluation and improvement of early stage technology companies you will be on top of the most high performing growth stage companies in our focus areas. As part of our change focused organization you will have access to senior leadership across TELUS and other leading global partner organizations as our industry undergoes seismic changes related to AI, 5G, changing consumer profiles in a broader trend to innovation away from core telecom legacy services.
The opportunity to join TELUS Ventures represents a dynamic opportunity with one of Canada’s most active venture capital groups to further develop your career in the PE or VC industries.
- Create original investment thesis design and evaluation to align with our partners across TELUS as to “where the puck is going”
- Leverage your experience as an investment or transactional lead to source, evaluate and develop recommendations for investments across a wide range of industries to the Ventures team and our investment committee
- Establish, track and report on Key Performance Metrics to focus on what is important and the early identification of issues
- Proactively manage the current portfolio of investee companies with a Private Equity view to drive optimisation and realisation
- Lead deal due diligence efforts with expert support from other Ventures’ team members and stakeholders
- Stay up to date on current trends in the technology industry and piece together the informational mosaic for potential investment targets
You’re the missing piece of the puzzle
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in leading transactions in private company investments and/or deal execution management, preferably in the venture capital, investment banking, telecommunications and/or technology industries
- Strong presentation and communication skills (with experience interacting with senior leaders in both large and small organizations)
- Excellent relationship management and collaboration skills including the ability to collaborate effectively in situations without formal influence & across geographies
- Experience in technical, financial and management evaluation as part of investment due diligence
- MBA degree and/or a CFA or CPA designation(s) would be highly desirable
You will be Successful If you have the Following:
- Superior relationship management and collaboration skills including the ability to collaborate effectively in situations without formal influence & across geographies
- Proven ability to coordinate multiple, simultaneous projects and initiatives in the portfolio and work within an environment of rapid change and evolving priorities
- Entrepreneurial spirit which will drive passionate ownership, process improvement and responsibility for the portfolio of investments
- Strong bias to action with the ability to work independently and to achieve the required goals
- Understanding of business drivers in technology companies
- Demonstrated depth of operational and financial analytics and advanced excel modelling using a driver-based methodology
Who is TELUS?
We’re a high-performing team of individuals who collectively make TELUS one of the leading telecommunications companies in Canada. Our competitive consumer offerings include wireline, wireless, internet and Optik TV™. We also deliver a compelling range of products and services for small, medium and large businesses; and have carved out a leadership position in the health, energy, finance and public sector markets with innovative industry specific solutions.
Everyone belongs at TELUS. It doesn’t matter who you are, what you do or how you do it, at TELUS, your unique contribution and talents will be valued and respected. Because the more diverse perspectives we have the more likely we are to crack the code on what our customers want and our communities need.
Do you share our passion?